Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Parts were supposed to be here in 6 days, but they are showing that they are arriving today.....that would be nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

Engine Replacement

Well parts arrived.

New MAF was installed and no more low voltage code. This also fixed my cruise control. If the MAF is not working the cruise control will not turn on.

The valve cover already had the gaskets installed which was nice. Just made sure they were in properly.

I removed the old valve cover and the gasket I just put on last week and cleaned the head surface.

The old valve cover was indeed warped.

I put rtv on the new valve cover gasket per the factory manual.

Front side

Rear side

New valve cover installed with new rubber and metal washers, and hand tightened.

After allowing one hour for the rtv to cure the valve cover was torqued to 7.4 ft/lbs, and all parts were put back on the car.

Fingers crossed this fixes the oil leak. It was leaking out the back side prior to the new valve cover.

I will update tomorrow.

Cheers!

2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint

Fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    No more oil leak! Yay

But.....

Someone just side swiped my car while I was standing in front of my house.....they didn’t even pull over. I’m lucky it’s just the mirror but still I’m pissed.

Well I still have an oil leak but it’s not coming from the valve cover.....this is odd.

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot434 View Post
    No more oil leak! Yay

But.....

Someone just side swiped my car while I was standing in front of my house.....they didn’t even pull over. I’m lucky it’s just the mirror but still I’m pissed.
    Bummer! That's so aggravating that they didn't stop.

Well I still have an oil leak but it’s not coming from the valve cover.....this is odd.
    Check the hex plug in the back of the cylinder head, SureShot434 just found his was leaking (link with realoem diagram). When I replaced my engine I found the plug was loose, too (link with photos, halfway down the post).

Keep us posted with what you find.

Engine Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Bummer! That's so aggravating that they didn't stop.

Check the hex plug in the back of the cylinder head, SureShot434 just found his was leaking (link with realoem diagram). When I replaced my engine I found the plug was loose, too (link with photos, halfway down the post).

I did find that plug in doing research. One of my buddies had a bore scope and stuck it back there and sure enough it was leaking from that hex drain plug. I was able to reach back there with all the plastics removed (including the air filter tray, and shield covering the hvac on the top of the firewall).

I had to do everything by feel, but I got a 5mm Allen wrench on it and I tightened the bolt. It turned a good quarter turn. I then proceeded to drop the Allen wrench and it lodged itself on top of the transmission.....urggghh. I had to jack the car up and fish my hand around until I found it.

I then proceeded to clean all of the oil off the underside of the car and the back of the block.

Since tightening this hex plug I have not had any smoking. I think tightening it fixed my issue! I’ve read on other forums that machine shops take this plug out when doing work but may not tighten it fully when reinstalling it.

A local shop wanted $400 to replace the plug and washer....no thank you. If it does end up leaking I’ll do it myself.

As for my car being side swiped....I found a car matching the description and it had matching damage. I notified the police and they looked at the other car, and made contact with the individual by leaving a message to call them back. Well a week later they called me, and she admitted to hitting my car. It was a lady in her late 60’s and she was scared and that’s why she took off. Her insurance company is replacing my entire mirror assembly.

Good news on both fronts!

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post

LOL, a bit tired, or is WFH getting to you?

A local shop wanted $400 to replace the plug and washer....no thank you. If it does end up leaking I’ll do it myself.
    That's hilarious, considering it only takes maybe half an hour (if that) to remove all the plastics to get to it.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Oh man, I guess I am losing it... How embarrassing. Lol.

Glad it was positive on both fronts.

Slowly backing out of this thread now

Well it’s been 6k miles since the rebuild. The car has been running great. I had to drive from Indiana to Niagara Falls New York for work. It was 486 miles each way and the car performed flawlessly. I averaged 30.2 miles per gallon and made the drive on just over 3/4 of a tank each way. Loved going almost 500 miles without having to fill up.

I’ve been home for a week and drove to work with no issues. Thursday my daughter left her phone at a state park an hour away and I had to drive there at 10pm to get it. Halfway there I lost power and the RPMs were dropping even though I was pushing the gas pedal. When I pushed in the clutch while pulling over the engine died, and would not restart.

Tow truck took me home and it sat for a couple days while I was working. After investigation and using the hidden features in the instrument cluster I found that the left side of the tank had 9.5L (2.5 Gal) and the right side had 2.5L (0.66 Gal).

With that knowledge my car was level in my driveway and started up with no issues and ran fine. I watched as the level in the right side dropped and the left side stayed the same with a minor increase from the fuel return line. This leads me to believe that the fuel pump is pumping enough pressure to run the car, but it isn’t flowing enough for the siphon pump to transfer fuel from the left side to the right side.

I will be replacing the pump and the filter this week. Parts are around $190 from FCP Euro.

Fun times on the side of the road at night.

Home safely.

Pics from the trip to New York.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast