Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Engine Replacement

So today I replaced the driver side parking brake backing plate. When I pulled it all apart all the springs had broken so I ordered a new parts kit for the parking brake, and it should arrive tomorrow morning via my local NAPA store ($24.99).

Here is the old backing plate. I removed the two 10mm and two 16mm bolts that hold the plate on. I had to use a little heat to remove one of the 10mm bolts. Then I had to use a flat screw driver to work around the hub prying the backing plate away from the hub. Then I made two cuts with tin snips, and pulled the backing plate off of the hub.

I then made the two same cuts on the new backing plate and worked it around over the hub and into place.

Here shows why I had to replace it. The pins that hold the brake pads for the parking brake has pulled through the backing plate because of how rusted it was.

I also replaced the driver side rear brake line that somehow got caught between the axle and the knuckle.

I then went to bleed the caliper annnnnddddd the bleeder screw broke off inside the caliper.

My local AutoZone actually had one in stock for $52 so I picked it up and it actually has a BMW stamp in the caliper. I installed it and had my wife help me bleed the caliper.

Tomorrow I’m going to bleed the clutch slave cylinder.

Once the hardware kit arrives I will be putting all new hardware and brake pads in for the parking brake, and driving away.

Hopefully nothing else brakes for a while....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SureShot434; 05-28-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

Engine Replacement

Well today I got the parts kit for the parking brake and well....not all the parts were correct. I had to go to a salvage yard and grab the spring that goes by the part that the cable expands.

The spring on the left is what was in the kit, but the spring on the right is the correct one I grabbed at the salvage yard.

Once I got the correct spring it all went back together just like it should and the parking brake was adjusted.

At the local salvage yard I also grabbed a windshield cowl for $30. Score!

Old

New

After sitting for a couple years all the rubber was gone. There was a bunch of crap stuck under the old one and I got it all cleaned out. Luckily no rust had started to form.

Last edited by SureShot434; 05-28-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot434 View Post
    Well today I got the parts kit for the parking brake and well....not all the parts were correct. I had to go to a salvage yard and grab the spring that goes by the parking that the cable expands.

The spring on the left is what was in the kit, but the spring on the right is the correct one I grabbed at the salvage yard.
    Huh, that's odd. Both my old and new springs looked identical, and none had 2 discrete sets of coils on one spring. Perhaps it's different with pre versus post-facelift, or 325 versus 330 rear brakes
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Huh, that's odd. Both my old and new springs looked identical, and none had 2 discrete sets of coils on one spring. Perhaps it's different with pre versus post-facelift, or 325 versus 330 rear brakes
    That’s what I’m thinking. I just find it odd that the parts kit showed that it fit 2001-2013....I don’t agree with that lol

Dropped the car off at the body shop to have to front end repainted under warranty since they put a new hood on a couple years ago and the paint is peeling off. They said they need two days. Can’t wait to have her looking good again!

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Just got her back from paint.

Before:

After:

Looks much better!

There is however some hail damage on the hood....I’m not going to worry about those for now. They aren’t noticeable unless you know the are there and are looking, or if you have it in a paint booth under lighting. I’m just glad to have her back and looking much better!

Now the agenda for today is to do the first oil change after breaking in the engine, and then replace a broken window regulator. The window is stuck on the up position with a broken wire. This should be fun....lol

Oh and I’m going to add some more refrigerant to try to get the A/C system running. Everyone works but it’s not cold. I believe I lost all of the refrigerant while it sat for 4.5 years.

I still can't believe you got that hood re-painted for free. To be fair it doesn't appear to just be wear and tear, that peeling was pretty bad. I'd love to have my front end painted one day!
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Engine Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    I still can't believe you got that hood re-painted for free. To be fair it doesn't appear to just be wear and tear, that peeling was pretty bad. I'd love to have my front end painted one day!
    Well I was in a front end accident back in 2011, and had to have a lot replaced in the front including the hood. They put a brand new OEM hood on and painted it then so it’s only been 6 years. The paint had a lifetime warranty. The body shop did say it looked like the paint did not properly adhere to the primer.

With all my parts in hand I drove over to my parents house so I had ample room to work without distractions.

I successfully replaced the driver window regulator this afternoon. It was stuck in the up position and the wire was rusted and broken.

I ended up cutting the wire that goes between both rails and when I did that it freed up the window so I could lower it and unbolt it.

This is what the old one looked like after I removed it. The rails are no longer connected.

The motor is still good, so I’m going to hold onto it just invade.

I’m stoked to have all windows working now.

I then moved to the oil change and everything went great. Oil and filter looked good. I put in the new oil filter, new drain plug, and new crush washer. Then I added the Liqui Moly 5w-30.

Then I moved to the A/C issue. It was really low. I added almost 3/4 of a big can and the pressure read correct but I wasn’t getting cold air. At this point it looked like I was going to have to take it to the professionals to diagnose the issue.

On my way home from my parents house I decided to turn the A/C on and try one last time to see if it would get cold.....and then bam. The hissing noise almost disappeared and the air started getting cold. It’s not ice cold, but the closer I got to home the colder the air got.

I believe I may have lucked out and I will check the refrigerant level tomorrow. Fingers crossed I’m good to go.

My next task will be to take the car in for an alignment. Then she should be sorted out. It’s been a crazy journey but totally worth it!

Also took the chance to get a picture next to my grandpas car that my Dad now owns.

1991 Mercedes 300 SL. The car is as old as I am. 29

Amazing progress, car's looking great (especially after the respray of the hood)!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast