Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    Car-Part is legit. It's a nationwide scrapyard inventory. The yard itself is what you need to look into.
    Roger that! Thank you for the info. Anyone heared of this one in Elgin, Illinois? Global Auto Recycling & Repair

Looks like it's right up next to Seth and Ryan.
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot434 View Post
    Roger that! Thank you for the info. Anyone heared of this one in Elgin, Illinois? Global Auto Recycling & Repair

Looks like it's right up next to Seth and Ryan.
    Never heard of it, but to be fair, I've never looked for one either...

Well I'm back. Life got in the way of this project...including a deployment to the Middle East.

So as of right now the car has been sitting for 2 years.

I've cleared out the garage, have a parts list, and I'm as determined as ever. I'm pulling the engine/trans as one unit, and completely tearing it down and rebuilding the engine this winter. I'm looking for a used M54 engine block (new is about $3,500), and have a couple leads. I could really use help in finding info on rebuilding the engine and torque specs for all the hardware. Can't wait to get this started and be back on the road come Spring time!

Besides mechanical issues I do have a couple little rust spots to take care of, and a spot on the hood where the paint is peeling off. Don't know what caused that but shortly before it got parked the hood was replaced and painted so it should be covered under warranty.

If anyone has any info on pulling the M54 or rebuilding it, or best places to get parts I would greatly appreciate it. I will probably be posting up the current parts list I have here shortly.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you guys!
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint

Made a lot of good progress today.

Here is the paint peeling on the hood.

And the rust spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dario might be able to assist

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

i've got a healthy 2001-2002 vintage M54B30 here with bimmerbrake headers, and a 6-speed manual attached. perfect for your car! PM me if you're interested. we can try to figure out a halfway point... looks like you're about 8h22m from me, according to google maps.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i've got a healthy 2001-2002 vintage M54B30 here with bimmerbrake headers, and a 6-speed manual attached. perfect for your car! PM me if you're interested. we can try to figure out a halfway point... looks like you're about 8h22m from me, according to google maps.
    As much as I would love to take you up on that offer I really can't spend the money right now. Then again we will see what all is going on when I get the engine torn apart. The main reason I'm doing this is because I had a mechanic install a new clutch and he cross threaded all the bolts holding the bell housing to the block and I wasn't able to fix it at the time. It's been sitting for two years and enough is enough. I'm pulling and rebuilding. I may need a used block, but the machine shop is going to see if they can fix the bolt holes. Then I will rebuild, but I may get it apart and find that it would be cheaper to take you up on your offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a good write-up of the procedure on an E39, by our own DaneWilson no less, with a very similar engine. The comments are helpful too.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ap-advice-528i

I read the part about your stripped bell housing bolts, but I would suggest buying a known-good, used engine for $500-$800, changing every seal, gasket and pulley, CCV and any other engine wear-out part and reinstall.

The rebuild you suggest is, I think (never did one) far more tedious, probably more costly, and likely to keep you off the road a lot longer.
    Last edited by Pilot05; 10-26-2016 at 07:39 AM.

Here is a video for the M54B30 engine -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMMbVtXiu48

This is just part one of a 6 part video. Hope this helps.

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot434 View Post
    Well I'm back. Life got in the way of this project...including a deployment to the Middle East.

So as of right now the car has been sitting for 2 years.

I've cleared out the garage, have a parts list, and I'm as determined as ever. I'm pulling the engine/trans as one unit, and completely tearing it down and rebuilding the engine this winter. I'm looking for a used M54 engine block (new is about $3,500), and have a couple leads. I could really use help in finding info on rebuilding the engine and torque specs for all the hardware. Can't wait to get this started and be back on the road come Spring time!

Besides mechanical issues I do have a couple little rust spots to take care of, and a spot on the hood where the paint is peeling off. Don't know what caused that but shortly before it got parked the hood was replaced and painted so it should be covered under warranty.

If anyone has any info on pulling the M54 or rebuilding it, or best places to get parts I would greatly appreciate it. I will probably be posting up the current parts list I have here shortly.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you guys!
    Yo, a few members recently crashed their ZHPs (and a few on e46f) unfortunately. I was recently in an accident as well, but kept the car and rebuilt the whole front end. While I was sourcing parts and looking for items, I was coming across functional cars with only body damage for around 1000 - 2000. As long as the engine is running good, you could by a whole parts car instead of a new block and still have money to spare

Welcome back, looking forward to following your progress. Good luck with the project!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast