Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It is, but tell a young kid you're going to give him the keys to your BMW (no matter how fast it is) and I bet he already has some irresponsible ideas in his head of what he will do with that car...or at least that's what the insurance companies think!

I think in most states insurance companies discriminate--ah I mean use risk-adjusted pricing--on any factor they legally are allowed to use, anything except race, income and zip code (zip code redlining no longer allowed in California, not sure about other states)

Make, model, year and even body style (coupe, sedan, convertible, SUV) of the car
    Age, gender, driving history, job type, and education level of the driver
    Miles driven per year, and driving style, if you let them put the tracker in your car
    Which state you live in

Maybe they can't officially charge you more if you didn't go to college or work as a professional street racer, but they can charge you less if you have a college degree and/or work in certain professional fields. For example I think sometimes engineers and school teachers can get a profession-based discount.

When I priced insurance for my E36, the sedan was about $120 less per year to insure than the coupe with same motor. Not sure if they actually look at the car's color.

Wow that's pretty significant price difference. Just another reason sedans are better

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Nice. Very interested to see where this goes.

BMW CCA # 510252

Update:

I talked to Lee yesterday and yes I can insure it as a classic for a predetermined value however; that limits me to 2000 miles a year. As I talked more with Lee, he and the other party involved felt that with the pictorial history, documentation of over 100,000 miles of service, gas fill up and more, that I would not have a issue of them paying a premium value for the car in a total loss situation.

Their recommendation was, to leave it as it is and enjoy driving it as much as i want.

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Interesting. Did you get that in writing?

Also, what's significant about the gas fill up?

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Proves it's getting reasonable mileage and kept in good condition?
    BTW, I might have been wrong about the premium price difference between E36 M3 sedan and coupe--maybe it was only $75? I'd have to find the old quote. But sedan was definitely cheaper to insure.

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    I think in most states insurance companies discriminate--ah I mean use risk-adjusted pricing--on any factor they legally are allowed to use, anything except race, income and zip code (zip code redlining no longer allowed in California, not sure about other states)
    Does this mean they can't change rates based upon zip code in CA? I just changed my zip code last month to a nicer area and it went up like $24/mo on my Z4M.

I think I was mistaken. A quick web search suggests auto insurance redlining was still allowed in California in 2005 and I assume still allowed now. There was a voter initiative from 1988 that requires insurance companies to use driver experience, driving record, and annual mileage as the top three factors for setting auto liability insurance premiums (no doubt value and repair cost of your car also affect your comprehensive/collision premiums), but there doesn't appear to be any law against using zip code (or driver education, profession, age or gender) as secondary factors for setting premiums.

I also seem to remember my auto insurance rates changing whenever I moved. Maybe mortgage redlining is the one that illegal.

Cool. Thanks for the follow up. I hate being judged on my zip code - especially since it doesn't seem to matter what type of area I'm moving to, always goes up. Such is life!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast