Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winter Detailing...or...combating salination!

Anyone have any tips on car care over the next few months? Or would like to share battle plans?

As of now, my plan is to let it (read: SALT) pile on and then wait for a DECENTLY warm day and hose her off and complete a 2 bucket wash with Mr. Pink and the foam gun.

Or is it more important to take her through a regular or touchless wash if it stays cold for long periods than leaving the salt to season her just right for Old Man Winter to devour?

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

There is touchless car wash in Sterling that has a powerful under carriage spray that removes salt from the underbody, not the greatest for car exterior in terms of cleaning, it does leave some grim behind. I would take it there to remove salt as it is much worse. DO NOT wipe your car after that though all the dirt will leave all kinds of scratches on your car.

Mine is full of salt throughout the winter. I run it through touchless every 3 weeks or so. Full detail with jet seal before and after the winter. It looks pretty decent but then again maybe the damage just blends in with the mileage battle marks.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Im in the same boat as the OP I hate seeing all the salt on my car. I found self service car wash that I used when it was like 20 degrees outside. Right now it's -10ish with the windchill so you won't see me there anytime soon. Unless maybe I go to just rinse off the salt but then it would just freeze my the time I got home. I'm probably just going to try and clean off the salt as much as possible or if I cave in take it through a car wash since my rims are a little scuffed up anyways. I've been going back and forth on if I should get it detailed and sealed now or just wait until after the winter and get it detailed. Idk... I subscribed to this post to see what other people though because I'm open for suggestions lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wash mine weekly. I have access to a wash stall inside the auto hobby shop. This stall is heated so I'm not exposed to the outside when washing my car.

One weekend, we took BP's car there and gave it a good washing so he knows just how good I have it where I work

Biggest thing is to keep the salt from building up and keeping it off the car as much as you are able.... Anyway that's my plan for the winter months, especially while its real cold outside....

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I wash mine weekly. Biggest thing is to keep the salt from building up and keeping it off the car as much as you are able...
    Wish we had one of those around here...alas...

But yes, I think I will strive to do this. My tolerance for the cold is pretty high. I bought some ice-fishing gloves which are awesome for keeping water off my hands/arms and are insulated for warmth. Plus we should have some 40+ days coming up here...afterall VA winters are not THAT cold unless the Vortex comes on down.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:

I run it through a car wash once in a while. Mostly for the underbody rinse. When it's warm, I use my foam canon and auto finesse foam which is made for winter months.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    I run it through a car wash once in a while. Mostly for the underbody rinse. When it's warm, I use my foam canon and auto finesse foam which is made for winter months.
    Hmm might have to pick up some.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    Sold:

Yeah, I'd never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone

5 liter bottle but it's available in 1 liter

https://www.detailersdomain.com/Auto...ter_p_929.html

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast