Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

p0171 and p0174 with aem cai

My first post, just wanted to say I've been browsing the forums and this one is very informative. Sorry if this is a repeat post but I searched and couldn't find one with a similar problem. If there is please direct me to its location.
    I recently purchased a 05 330ci zhp 6 speed with 80,000 miles about a month ago and love it. I have never been able to resist modding my vehicles but with this one I want to keep simple, so I installed an AEM CAI. After about four days with no problems I got a SES light so I ran codes (p0171 and p0174) lean bank one and two. I began instantly checking for intake leaks, cracked boots etc. Couldn't find any so I cleard codes with my actron and took for another drive after 30 miles SES light with same codes. I reinstalled the stock intake, cleared codes, and haven't had a SES in two days. Has anyone else had the same issue with the AEM or has any ideas? If it might make any difference the paperwork I recieved with the car indicated it was purchased from Germany and shipped into Fl. Is there any difference in the German spec vs. the U.S. that might cause this issue?

Welcome to the site.

I can't see how the AEM itself would cause a lean condition. Has to be somewhere post MAF that extra air was getting in. Does the CAI stretch or change the orientation of the intake boot at all? If so you might have a small tear in the boot that opens up more from being stretched/repositioned to mate up with the CAI. Just spit balling...
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I agree with you. It may strech a little to reach the MAF however it doesn't change the oreientation of the boot. I thought that maybe during installation when I was manipulating the boot I could have created a small tear and visually couldn't find one. That is why I put the stock box back on to see if it would throw codes as well. After the rain stops today I'll check for intake holes with a unlit propane torch and listen for revs. I'm thinking after 80000 a $20 boot wouldn't hurt to be replaced anyhow. The only flaw I could find with the AEM is it reuses the o-ring for the MAF and when installed in the grove on the AEM the MAF doesn't fit snugly, but that is before the MAF so it shouldn't cause the code.

Sounds good. My money is on a small intake boot tear.

Might be easier to find if you put the AEM back on and then check the boot with the propane.

Let us know how you make out.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Dang. good deduction Keith. +1 on the slight orientation change opening up a small tear. Almost has to be.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

All on the same page here on this one. Check/buy upper and lower intake boots. Just replace them and be done with it. Clean your ICV and inspect your disa also. This is an opportune time for this. I suspect your codes will stay away after this. You have to be getting un-metered airflow into your engine.

Welcome to the Mafia!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep eveyrone posted with my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by baileau View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I'll keep eveyrone posted with my findings.
    Please do....
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Ok. Before I removed the stock box I checked for leaks using a unlit propane torch. Didn't detect any. Removed stock box (checked disa it had no play, great suggestion by the way thanks danewilson77), re-installed AEM (fixed loose MAF to AEM box (only complaint about the AEM)). Used porpane again and couldn't find any leaks. No SES light so far, but I'll drive more tomarrow. There could still be a small tear and it might not open up until it is up in the revs. Just to be safe I'm going to order new intake boots, but I'm considering the Stett performance ones. They are more but I won't have to worry about tears anymore and the look better. If you haven't seen them, check them out: http://www.shop.stettperformance.com...2&categoryId=4
    Again thanks for the advice I'll let you know if if find out anything else.

Yup. I have one of those stett boots. Expensive, but slick.
    David

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast