Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rough Idle - No SES and drives normally

So yesterday I was driving at a downward incline from the second floor of a parking garage with the clutch fully depressed when something in the drive train started to shake. What I thought was strange was that the shifter was transmitting the vibration with the clutch disengaged and I heard something grind. I thought it was the gear grinding so I immediately put put it into neutral.

The car drove fine but I noticed when at a stop regardless of clutch position, there was a vibration being transmitted into the cabin. I played around with having the clutch engaged and disengaged and it all felt the same except with the clutch engaged the vibration would transmit to the transmission and shifter as well. There is also a irregular clicking noise

Upon starting the car today I noticed that my idle was bouncing around with the same vibrations

Here are a few things that could have been a precursor to what is happening:
    1) I had my DME flashed the same day in the morning - Adaptations were reset and perhaps this could be a fuel and air ration problem
    2) Hit a giant pot hole two days prior and could've caused the right engine mount to collapse

However none of these would explain the grinding noise that I heard... Flywheel?

I have some videos uploading to youtube and will update the original post when I get back. Anyone experience this before?

EDIT and UPDATE: It threw a SES and upon checking it is Lamda sensor in bank 1. Still doesn't explain the grinding but I'm going to do tackle this soon.
    Last edited by melonz; 03-08-2015 at 08:59 PM.

What kind of condition is your guibo in? I've seen them practically come apart before.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

I checked my guibo and it is in surprisingly good condition.

So here is what I did:

I cleared the codes and drove for a few more days - still the same symptoms but once again no SES came on until today. Upon checking it I had a P0171 and P0174. Unfortunately my laptop was being uncooperative and I could not get DIS or GT1 to connect so I had to resort to a generic reader to get the codes.

Putting 2 and 2 together my first step was to check the DISA. Why? Because during normal driving the car was fine (open DISA) but at idle it was rough (DISA is probably not closing). Second the rattling sound could have very well been from a chunk or pin or the whole flap disintegrating in the cylinder(s). Third it was the easiest thing to check lol.

Sure enough I found the stem that rotates the DISA to be snapped clean off so I was practically driving with an open DISA at all times. Thankfully the pin was still there (I was expecting the worst) but I did notice a small chunk of my DISA was missing. So this may be the culprit in the rattling I heard for a split second.

What is my plan now?

Just about to order a German Auto Solutions DISA repair. I had one in my previous E46 and I wish I had taken it out.

Pics: and yes that is a hole

Name:  rLaEmKzl.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  3hCrByFl.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  33.5 KB

For now I've decided to remove the flap and pin until I get the kit.

Melonz,
    How many miles on that guibo? I think it's hard to (inaccurate) to visually inspect a guibo with much certainty. I would just replace it with mileage. This logic (in my opinion, that I use) goes for pretty much all bushings on an e46.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Dane,

I've got 108,000 on the clock now.

I'd definitely like to do it but I was hoping to wait until I have to replace the clutch. Unfortunately I can't do anything that requires me to lift the whole car so it'd have to go to an indy. Also good point on the rest of the bushings. Probably need to do those as well.

Also can someone go to www.germanautosolutions.com and try and checkout a G.A.S. BMW M54 DISA Repair Kit? I can't get to the redirect to paypal (I get an error) and want to make sure it just isn't me.

You don't have to lift the whole car to replace guibo.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    You don't have to lift the whole car to replace guibo.

"No flamesuit required"
    Oh sweet! Looks like I'll add that to my list of parts to buy.

Thanks.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

Ugh, Colin got and SES on the way home from SC yesterday. Pulled the codes: P0171 confirmed, P0174 pending. Time for Stett boots and DISA inspection. Runs rough at idle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast