Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    well, i'm gonna try some free things first. i'm going to clean the throttle and ICV, and check the DISA operation.
    i really need a smoke machine...
    I saw a scotty you tube where he simply blew cigar smoke into a hose connected to the intake.

Also there's this https://youtu.be/J5O5gzIAuhc

i have looked into both of those options in the past. i keep scrounging around equipment auctions to find a deal!
    fortunately, i have two shops in the area that will do smoke tests for a reasonable fee....as a DIYer, though, it'll be nice to have one on the shelf in the shop....
    - now with 5 speeds

so, ordered some new intake boots, throttle body gasket, etc. in prep for some cleaning and inspection fun times.
    with work and other plans, it'll be a while again before i can update this. i'm on the slow boat here....
    - now with 5 speeds

update - work is getting in the way of my attempts to fix a broken car.

anyway.

just for grins, i cleared the adaptations and went for a drive. initially, all seemed much improved but within minutes i had the hesitation issue.
    cleared all the wacky codes from the adaptation reset. went for another drive and it is hesitating.

today, unplugged the MAF and went for a short drive - issues all gone. plugged MAF in and hesitation issue immediately returned.
    oh, and tested my still original CCV - 2inh2O at idle on a warm motor, and goes to 4inh2O upon shutdown. the running number is actually under spec.

my questions are related now to the GT1/DIS - does anyone know how to get the ZHP DME into expert mode for testing? I'd like to do the VANOS functional test and have read/heard about some DISA testing as well.
    - now with 5 speeds

haven't had time to explore the GT1 testing, but did determine the problem doesn't appear until the car is in closed loop. also, found the problem disappeared if the DISA was unplugged.

i have an upgraded DISA from GAS on the way, and will also replace the intake boots as well as check out the ICV and throttle body.
    - now with 5 speeds

replaced upper and lower intake boots, cleaned ICV (it was not sticking) and installed new G.A.S. DISA valve.
    the old DISA, which had ~130k on it, appeared fine and passed all tests I could find to check functionality. It did exhibit some vacuum bleed down.
    however, there wasn't much change in the problem. There is still a hesitation around 2500 now (previously it was around 2000). the hesitation isn't as bad as before, but it's still there.
    - now with 5 speeds

good grief - i've been bad about not keeping this updated.
    the report at present is i've gone full tilt on refreshing the zhp. in december, i did all suspension, etc. so, now i attacked the vanos (rebuilt drvanos), belts, pulleys, post-cat o2 sensors, driveshaft and flex disc, rebuilt shifter (added UUC dssr), new front wheel bearings, new transmission mounts, new engine mounts.

i'm in the middle of finishing that work. will report back once i'm done.

in the meantime, for those that track your cars and have stainless/braided brake lines - be sure and replace regularly. had a heck of a ride in my e36 track car this past weekend when a line broke and i lost brakes in a heavy braking zone.
    - now with 5 speeds

Well after texting with BP last night I unplugged my DISA for the 50 mi run in to work today. The 2500-3500 lag is mostly gone. Not sure why or how b/c everyone says the DISA is all about 4k dip. Botond suggests I give it a few days and see if it returns.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

i went and visited a good friend with a well-respected shop. he spent most of the day with the car and diagnosed my issue as failing/failed cats. while it was there i also had the CCV replaced as I knew it needed to be done. we found two bad coils so replaced all six.

planning next steps at this point.
    - now with 5 speeds

on the plus side - the UUC DSSR made a huge difference along with the shifter rebuild. also, the driveshaft cured a bunch of vibration issues i had. the drvanos kit also quieted down that item tremendously. at least all the parts i've replaced definitely needed it. the passenger motor mount was so done it's not even possible to put it into words. the driver's side had compressed noticeably compared to the new one.
    - now with 5 speeds

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast