Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New struts for my BMW 330 ZHP: OEM or Koni FSD??

I can get a set of OEM, or a set of Koni FSD for about the same price-- $600 or so.

I love the stock handling, but if I can make it better than why not, right? Just don't want to make it worse.

Will be leaving everything else OEM.

Opinions? (I don't know sh!t about suspensions)

P.s. -- either way I go, the ride height WILL NOT be affected, right?? Any experts out there?

Just about every aftermarket kit out there will lower your car....other than oem.

I guess I am unsure of what you want.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Just about every aftermarket kit out there will lower your car....other than oem.

I guess I am unsure of what you want.
    Ok, I thought lowering was due to springs (and mine will stay same).
    I want to replace my shocks with the best option-- either direct ZHP oem or something else for the same price. What I don't want is to either:
    a) make my car lower to where I have rubbing problems (if this is even something to worry about), or
    b) make the handling worse by NOT using direct OEM replacement parts.

If the Konis would be a smart option, with zero negatives, then I should go with the Konis. I'm just not educated in suspensions enough to know!

Needs to be in the maintenance or mechanical section
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I think Koni's would be fine. If you aren't replacing the springs...the ride height should stay the same. I misunderstood.

Depending on mileage though...I might recommend you change them out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    Needs to be in the maintenance or mechanical section
    Yep, got it Wash. Moving to Suspension & Brakes.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

What about Bilstein? Don't get me wrong, I have had many many good sets of Koni's, and I really like them. Recently it seems like they're being made cheaper, I haven't tried the FSD's, but I decided to put bilsteins on my 325. I just put them on over the weekend and didn't have to deal with the cartridge inserts like the Koni's do, which was really nice! If you were local, I would let you use my tirerack discount.

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Yep, got it Wash. Moving to Suspension & Brakes.
    Good man Keith.

Good lookin out Wash.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm with Kpro about Konis being manufactured cheaper lately. I went with Bilstein Sports.
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

2009 Horizon Blue Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White Mini R56 "Justa" Cooper 6spd
    On the hunt for an e30, z3, or 318ti...

Quote Originally Posted by Radarcontact View Post
    I can get a set of OEM, or a set of Koni FSD for about the same price-- $600 or so.

I love the stock handling, but if I can make it better than why not, right? Just don't want to make it worse.

Will be leaving everything else OEM.

Opinions? (I don't know sh!t about suspensions)

P.s. -- either way I go, the ride height WILL NOT be affected, right?? Any experts out there?
    Have you seen this package? Shocks, struts AND ZHP front control arms for $460 plus shipping at Husker BMW. Tischer used to have a free shipping deal on this package but I'm not seeing it any more.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...08&hg=31&fg=95

Part #33500429577 here........

http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/part...&siteid=215771

As far as getting the FSD or OEM it sounds like the FSD might ride a bit better than OEM but there have been reports of premature failure on the FSDs. No idea if they've taken care of whatever it was that was causing them to leak, sometimes even right out of the box.

I have been debating getting the FSDs myself and using my original springs but haven't made any decision yet. I also have a set of OEM ZHP shocks/struts with 10,000 miles on them that I have debated using.

I personally would prefer Bilstein shocks but it sounds like they might ride stiffer than I'd like so that's why I have been thinking about the Konis.

Just thought I'd throw out another option for you. Who knows, I may end up going with that BMW package deal myself, I have no complaints with the stock setup. Or just say the hell with it and get the Bilsteins. Whatever I do I don't want to lower it any, or not more than an inch anyways.

Barry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast