Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PDC Retrofit (In Progress)

So I haven't actually finished this retrofit, but I got the hard part down. Don't know how many people are actually interested in this, but it doesn't hurt.

BMW has an official retrofit procedure, which is what this DIY is based on. Because there are official instructions, I wasn't very detailed about showing where the pins and such go.

Coupe/Convertible Instructions
    Sedan/Touring Instructions

So as you'll see in the instructions, there are two harnesses required to do this retrofit. One is the sensor harness; this is available from BMW pretty cheap - around $30. The other is the "supply" harness that goes to the front of the car. BMW doesn't supply this harness separately anymore (I was told it was NLA). So we have to make that harness. Note: There is a full retrofit kit (sensors, harnesses, module, etc) for sedans that should include the NLA harness. I'm not sure if the retrofit kit is still available; can't know until the order is actually placed.

So these are the parts you'll need to get started:
    • PDC Rear Bumper / Sill Strip + sensors -- part numbers vary
    • PDC Sensor Harness -- 61 11 6 930 771
    • PDC Supply Harness -- NLA; have to fabricate (Details below)
    • 7 20 Gauge Wire Spools; I recommend having about 20 ft to work with

Recommended:
    • Lots of zip ties
    • Assorted door panel/side sill clips
    • Fabric tape

So let's talk about the NLA harness. You would need this harness to power the PDC module, connect to the K-bus, and connect to the gong. You can't just grab it from a junkyard car since cars with PDC from the factory will have it integrated into the body harness. So our only real choice is to build it. It's only 7 wires. 5 wires originate from the PDC module. Of those, 3 terminate in the glove box area and 2 terminate in the driver side footwell. The last 2 wires originate in the glovebox area and terminate in the driver side footwell (to power the gong). I found that it takes ~13 ft of wire to go cleanly from the PDC module to the glove box. And another 3 ft or so to go from the glove box to the driver footwell.

I made a table that details the connections, contact/connector part numbers, wire sizes, wire colors, wire function, and termination location. The labels correspond to the ones in the official retrofit instructions

Basically start by crimping MQS contacts onto some wire, insert them into the right pins, and start wrapping in tape to keep it neat. I would leave the last couple feet unwrapped since the wires terminate to different places and you need some slack to allow the fuse box to drop and such. This is what mine looked like while I was working on it:

I didn't crimp the terminal contacts until after I had routed the wiring to the general area, just in case I needed to alter length.

Routing will look something like this:

PDC Module attached to its bracket:

String the PDC harness along the main harness:

Push it through the cutout

Keep it going along the main harness under the carpet

Pull it out of the carpet by the main harness. Disconnect the battery at this point if you haven't already. Refer to the retrofit PDF for making the actual connections (and after making you connections, tie off any slack)

Run the other wires behind the duct to the driver side and zip tie any excess you have to the main harness (you'll notice I accidentally zip tied the connector for the footwell light; I've fixed that since).

Make your connections to the gong. You'll also note that I have an extra wire going to the gong; I wired my cluster to the gong and coded it to use the gong instead of the piezo speaker for warnings.

Cut this section out to fit the gong. BMW doesn't sell a precut panel

Forgive my dirty interior. I also cleaned up the wiring a tad, particularly on the driver side, since taking these photos. But don't go too crazy - the wiring will be hidden under the paneling and it's impossible to get it perfect. Just make it so that you won't be sorting through spaghetti every time you need to work.

At this point you can test the module. Without the sensors connected, you should get a 5 second beep from the gong when you first put it in reverse. You should also be able to diagnose the module with INPA. And if you add $508 to your VO, you can (and should) code the module with NCS Expert

This is where I'm at for now. Installing the sensors should be fairly straight forward. I just have to pick up my bumper. I'll update the post then.

Reserved

" I wired my cluster to the gong and coded it to use the gong instead of the piezo speaker for warnings. "

What advantage is there in doing this Mirza? Is the gong louder?

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to post this DIY in this forum!!

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    " I wired my cluster to the gong and coded it to use the gong instead of the piezo speaker for warnings. "

I'm sure this was just a personal preference thing. The two sound different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

It's actually a bit quieter. But is a nicer tone than the beep -- doesn't sound as cheap IMO

Edit: Here's a video for anyone who's curious

Last edited by terraphantm; 03-20-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Nice.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I have the factory PDC. Wonderful feature. Love it.

I do like the gong sound better than the Piezo, btw. Good job. Wish I could change that. the Piezo is so harsh.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    I have the factory PDC. Wonderful feature. Love it.

I do like the gong sound better than the Piezo, btw. Good job. Wish I could change that. the Piezo is so harsh.
    If you have it from the factory, you might be able to change it (worst case, you might have to run one wire from the cluster to the gong).

Go to test function 13 in the cluster and see if it makes a noise. If it does, go to NCS Expert and change everything that says "piezo" to "gong"

Edit: On a completely unrelated note, I just noticed my cluster lost a mile between the before and after shots. Odd. Something with the battery reset I guess

I like the gong sound. I'm gonna have to do my instrument cluster test tomorrow on my ZHP and see if the gong goes off

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk

I like the gong sound. I'm gonna have to do my instrument cluster test tomorrow on my ZHP and see if the gong goes off

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk
    If you don't already have PDC, you probably don't have a gong speaker at all

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast