Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Exclamation Coil pack boot question (PIC)

(First of all, THANKS, DANE! for helping me with removing coil packs via FB chat! it was a PITA)

So I hope I didn't create a NEW problem while trying to troubleshoot another.

So I got a P0302 code (misfire Cyl 2 ) with CEL and shaky idle, and I was going to to swap out coils 2 and 3 if the Code moves to #3 cylinder to make sure (if) it IS a coil pack.

I had trouble getting coil pack 2 and 3 out so I tried coil 1 and it came out really easy BUT when I finally got the coil 2 out to swap with it, I noticed that the coil 1 looked different than coil 2 and looks like its (coil 1's) boot was missing? did it stay with the plug?

SEE PIC (Coil pack 2 on left (normal) and 1 on right)

what happened there?

anyway, I pushed it back on to the same cylinder, and finally got 3 out. (looked normal, like 2 )
    So now, I swapped 2 and 3 and started car - same symptoms, shaky idle but RPMs steady - BUT NO CEL yet -
    so I guess It will take a few drive cycles for the CEL to come back on?

(BTW I erased the previous code P0302)

So, as of now, expecting CEL and expecting it to be P0203 which will show me it really is a bad coil on Cyl 2.

But in the meantime I am worried about why that coil pack #1 looked weird as if something is missing from it. it's all hard plastic and looked like the rubber surround was missing. ???

It was also a bit wet...
    Anyway, I pushed it back in, and it felt like it seated well. I hope it will continue to work as before..

From a quick search I did, I don't think one can buy these boots separately if needed. (Bosch) . One CAN buy separate boots for Bremi coils (up to 2003), apparently. ECS tuning chat could not find a separate boot for Bosch.

If I don't get any UNEXPECTED codes for cyl 1, due to the boot issue, should I just leave it alone? or would you change it due to the little wetness I saw? there was no oil to be seen in cyl 1 hole, but I am thinking something must have made it separate from the boot so easily...

Oh, Can I drive the car around without the left part of the engine cover?

Name:  IMG_4509.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  1.33 MB
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Yes. The boot stayed. Yes. You can drive without the cover.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks again!

Yep - Sure looks like it - one can see a black surround around the SP in that plug hole.

Drove car around - no CEL yet. Seems almost normal while driving, but idles weak-ish. RPMs at idle steady.
    Car def. has a bit of power loss uphill. One can hear a change in the engine "tone" a few seconds after car starts.
    Probably will require more driving, overnight off, etc for the SES come back on. I have no clue what kind of drive cycle is needed on these cars for that.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Can this thread be moved to mechanical section? I posted in maintenance by mistake. Thanks!