Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

To rotate or not to rotate?

Somewhere there must be a thread that explores dismounting and remounting tires to extend tire life and even out the wear pattern. If you know where it is please post a link.
    I have the staggered 135's that have newer, maybe 5k mile Yoko Avid Envigor's. Past experience with BMW's with aggressive alignment is that the tires get so noisey after a while that I've had to replace them before they wear out! Anyone have experience with switching tires side to side (wheels will remain in same location)?

Dismounting and remounting tires is not worth the cost. You don't get enough extra life out of them to make it financially viable unless you can do the work yourself for free.

If you're concerned about tire wear, you should consider buying a square setup next time you buy tires so you can rotate the tires (wheels) properly. The offset difference on the 135's is so small, it shouldn't be a problem for you to put the rears on the fronts and vice versa as long as the tire sizes are exactly the same. I do this with my winter wheels to no ill effect (Style 68's with the same offsets as 135's).

Make sure you don't buy directional tires as those limit how they can be "rotated" (they can only be "rotated" on the same side, so front to back and back to front on the same side).
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

That's interesting! I think you are saying that you mount the 8.5's on the front and 8.0 on the rear. Is that correct? If so what size tire are you using when you do that with your set of snows?
    I really like the look of the 135's they just seem to be perfect on the ZHP. Because of that I'm reluctant to go shopping for wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Openair View Post
    That's interesting! I think you are saying that you mount the 8.5's on the front and 8.0 on the rear. Is that correct? If so what size tire are you using when you do that with your set of snows?
    I really like the look of the 135's they just seem to be perfect on the ZHP. Because of that I'm reluctant to go shopping for wheels.
    Yes. I currently have my 8.5's on the front.
    I run 225/40-17's all around as my winter setup.

I can get away with this because the offsets are so close (within 3mm). Handling hasn't been affected at all.

If there was like a 10mm difference then I wouldn't do this. If you're worried about the offset difference, then use some 3mm spacers on the et50 rears to even them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

On staggered setups, I always get asymmetrical tires (non-directional) so to rotate left to right.

BMW CCA # 510252

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Yes. I currently have my 8.5's on the front.
    I run 225/40-17's all around as my winter setup.

I can get away with this because the offsets are so close (within 3mm). Handling hasn't been affected at all.

If there was like a 10mm difference then I wouldn't do this. If you're worried about the offset difference, then use some 3mm spacers on the et50 rears to even them out.

BP,

I think you got it reverse. You should be using 3mm spacer on the 8.0 wheel to stick it out more when using it in the rear. Going from a 8.5 +50 to 8.0 +47 retracts the rim about 3mm on the outside and inner clearance is increased by 9mm.

Sounds like you're saying to purchase a set of the same size 18" tires and mount then to my staggered set of 135's. What size tire would you purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    BP,

I think you got it reverse. You should be using 3mm spacer on the 8.0 wheel to stick it out more when using it in the rear. Going from a 8.5 +50 to 8.0 +47 retracts the rim about 3mm on the outside and inner clearance is increased by 9mm.
    Yeah, that's right. Sorry about that b

Quote Originally Posted by Openair View Post
    Sounds like you're saying to purchase a set of the same size 18" tires and mount then to my staggered set of 135's. What size tire would you purchase?
    Yes. As Derek points out, a spacer could be used to make the wheels more uniform in specification.

The tire size I would choose would be different than yours because it sounds to me like your camber is quite different.

Personally I run a square setup of 245/35-18 and will be purchasing the same size tires when it comes time to replace.

You should look into your suspension components, or evaluate your driving habits to see if you can get better life out of them. I have tires that are in the same performance category as Pilot Super Sports (I have Bridgestone Potenza S-04 tires) and already have about 22-24k on them with life to spare. I do rotate them, which helps.

Once you buy a square setup you should see an increase in tire life as long as you rotate properly. I believe 5k is the recommended interval? Not sure but I do every 5k.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    I have always had good luck with Bridgestones so the S-04 sounds good! The 245-35-18's are within 1.1% of the 255-35's so I think I'll run those at all four corners and use the 3mm spacer when the 8.0's are on the rear. That should work fine since my ZHP Cab is a sunny day driver!