Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAF Issues?

MAF Issues?

*Copied and pasted from the what did you do thread*
    "I think my MAF has gone to meet it's Bavarian maker. The car is giving a code p102 so I toyed with the intake, cleaned the MAF, tried two different intakes including stock, and even made sure all the little prongs were connecting on the cable. No changes.."

I've discussed this with Charlie and run through a few other ideas. I also broke down the intake boots and filter last night and today just to see if I had missed something somewhere and then cleaned the MAF again. Using actual MAF cleaner of course. Not brake cleaner or any other harsh product. I've had zero luck. All of my vacuum lines are good and the Stett boots and intake fit perfectly. This suddenly happened the other way after I had taken the airbox and boots apart to fine tune the fitment. No messing with anything and the MAF was never dropped.

Does anyone have any ideas to try before I drop the cash on another MAF?

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

I would definitely clean the connection with CRC electrical cleaner prior to purchase.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    And you are sure no other wires are lose, broken, etc.
    I traced all the wired back on the connector and everything seems to be in order and cood condition

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I would definitely clean the connection with CRC electrical cleaner prior to purchase.

"No flamesuit required"
    That I have not tried yet. I'll give it a shot as well as rectrace the wiring to make sure nothing is amiss.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

You can't clean our MAFs. Our MAFs are hot film MAFs; cleaning them could actually make them worse.
    The only solution is a new MAF.

You mentioned in the other thread that you have no throttle while braking; this is a classic sign of it not being plugged in. Are you 100% sure the connection is tight and connected? Double check your connections to be sure. Any pinched wires somewhere? Try to unplug and plug back in again..
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    You can't clean our MAFs. Our MAFs are hot film MAFs; cleaning them could actually make them worse.
    The only solution is a new MAF.

You mentioned in the other thread that you have no throttle while braking; this is a classic sign of it not being plugged in. Are you 100% sure the connection is tight and connected? Double check your connections to be sure. Any pinched wires somewhere? Try to unplug and plug back in again..
    Yeah I think we may have pretty much solved this in the "What did you do" thread. The oil on the maf is probably what did me in. Never had any issues with my other intakes and OE has an oiled drop in but it's a non issue on the oe setup. I've unplugged and this morning cleaned the connections with CRC to no avail.. I murdered my MAF..... Dane... Take me to ZHP lockup.. I shoulda known better. Oh, and AZ. I owe ya this.

-Ben

LOL. At least you're taking it well. Bummer though. Hope they aren't too expensive.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    LOL. At least you're taking it well. Bummer though. Hope they aren't too expensive.
    So far between $120-$214 in the price range. Unless I go to BMW or another euro shop. The cheapest ones are around $300. Either way, I'll get this sorted out.

And I try my best to see the brighter side of things. At this point, I'll have an entirely new intake assembly ^_^.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Yeah I think we may have pretty much solved this in the "What did you do" thread. The oil on the maf is probably what did me in. Never had any issues with my other intakes and OE has an oiled drop in but it's a non issue on the oe setup. I've unplugged and this morning cleaned the connections with CRC to no avail.. I murdered my MAF..... Dane... Take me to ZHP lockup.. I shoulda known better. Oh, and AZ. I owe ya this.

You owe me nothing lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    So far between $120-$214 in the price range. Unless I go to BMW or another euro shop. The cheapest ones are around $300. Either way, I'll get this sorted out.

And I try my best to see the brighter side of things. At this point, I'll have an entirely new intake assembly ^_^.
    When it comes to a MAF, if you're paying less than $300 for a MAF, then you are buying a garbage one. People have bought the cheap ones and have immediately regretted it.

I would only buy OE Genuine BMW or the OEM, which is VDO/Siemens. We have someone on here who bought the OEM product instead of OE Genuine BMW and so far is doing good with it, so I would say the OEM is acceptable in this case.

ECS Has the VDO OEM part here for $323:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330....0L/ES2176259/

The cheapest OE MAF I found was from BMW of Morristown. The price is so much cheaper than the other dealers that it puts it right near where the aftermarket OEM part is, just a few bucks more! $331
    http://www.trademotion.com/parts/ind...xt=13627566983
    (to give you a reference of how much most dealers gouge, my local dealer charges $560 for the same part. I bought mine for $380 from another local dealer...)
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    You owe me nothing lol

When it comes to a MAF, if you're paying less than $300 for a MAF, then you are buying a garbage one. People have bought the cheap ones and have immediately regretted it.

I would only buy OE Genuine BMW or the OEM, which is VDO/Siemens. We have someone on here who bought the OEM product instead of OE Genuine BMW and so far is doing good with it, so I would say the OEM is acceptable in this case.

ECS Has the VDO OEM part here for $323:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330....0L/ES2176259/

The cheapest OE MAF I found was from BMW of Morristown. The price is so much cheaper than the other dealers that it puts it right near where the aftermarket OEM part is, just a few bucks more! $331
    http://www.trademotion.com/parts/ind...xt=13627566983
    (to give you a reference of how much most dealers gouge, my local dealer charges $560 for the same part. I bought mine for $380 from another local dealer...)
    You are a life saver . Thanks very much for the input. I'm gonna check these out and toy with my MAF one last time. Then order a new one.

-Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast