Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I didn't think disabling the mat was even possible...
    And clearing the light probably won't do jack since it'll just re-detect that the mat isn't functioning and come right back on again.

I'd just get the bypass sensor since it's soooo cheap and soooo easy to install. With the bypass installed, both airbags come on in the event of an accident regardless of whether someone is sitting in the passenger seat or not. If you ever get into an accident where the airbag goes off, your car's gonna get totaled anyway, so it doesn't matter if one airbag comes out or both.
    True forgot that the light will stay on even if it is consciously disabled...

Yeah I have an extra black box I'm just going to solder in the resistors.
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

Since we're sidetracked now, I've read that there are insurance implications, also, for modifying a safety system. It could effect payout if the airbag blows unnecessarily and the bypass is discovered and if there are injuries or fatalities that may have been effected by the altered system criminal liability could be placed on the person who altered it (assuming it could be proven - but even if it couldn't in our litigious society I wouldn't doubt a passenger would sue the owner of the car regardless). Bypass might be cheap and easy but that doesn't make it the way to go. Shame BMW won't rectify their faulty part but it's the card we've been dealt if we choose to keep these cars on the road and completely safe.

Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor Replacement (NOT Bypass)

In my eyes, this is a non-issue. The airbag will deploy regardless of whether someone is sitting there or not (with the bypass in place). If nobody is sitting there, there is nobody sitting there TO sue the driver. If there is somebody sitting there, then what would they sue for? The airbag deploying? The airbag would go off anyway since somebody is sitting there.

If someone disabled the airbag completely, then I can see grounds for safety issues. That is certainly not the case with a bypass since an airbag deploys with it in place. One airbag deployment is enough to total the car in most cases, so two should have zero effect on payout. Logically this doesn't make any sense.

But, if you want to go through the cost and time of replacing a mat every couple of years then go for it. It is certainly the correct way of fixing the problem.

One thing I can suggest to prolong the life of the sensor is to never allow anybody to kneel or support their weight with their arm while resting on the bottom seat cushion. It puts undue stress on the mat and cushion. This is commonplace at car washes where the guys don't care and kneel on the seat while vacuuming something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I won't bother to explain the logic behind what I said. It's merely what I've read elsewhere and it makes perfect sense to me. For me, the time and expense to fix it properly isn't enough to make it worth the possible liability for anything that may happen as a result of "fixing" it improperly. Of course everyone else may do as they wish with their own car and I say power to them. Just sharing info.

Quote Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
    I won't bother to explain the logic behind what I said. It's merely what I've read elsewhere and it makes perfect sense to me. For me, the time and expense to fix it properly isn't enough to make it worth the possible liability for anything that may happen as a result of "fixing" it improperly. Of course everyone else may do as they wish with their own car and I say power to them. Just sharing info.
    I do have to say I'm curious why your mat went so soon.
    BMW carries a 2 year warranty on their parts; if it's within 2 years, you can get a free replacement.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I just checked my service records and contrary to my original post it's been three years, three months (not "less than three years"). That seems very soon to me as well but I've read elsewhere of others, although not many, experiencing similar life on this part.

I replaced my occupancy sensor today and, as promised, did a DIY. It was a pretty easy fix and I would highly recommend it over any bandaids or bypasses. Link: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...693#post433693

Thanks for doing that and for sharing. Hopefully I never need it.

+1!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Guess it's time to replace mine

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast