Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 95 of 111 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    What are oil change intervals like in Germany? That's quite surprising, I've only ever heard of rod bearing issues with the M engines
    The average consumer will blindly follow the computer or dealer recommendation, which is about 20k Km or once every 2 or 3 years. But I've also read posts of some doing 30k Km, others 15k Km, so it obviously depends on the person. Enthusiasts tend to stick closer to 15k Km, and there are some that go as low as 10k Km, but those are rare.

In the meantime, pretty much every person and shop around my area sticks to the 5k miles interval. In our local car club, a few do 3-4k miles changes, whereas the "normal" people I've met here stick to 5-7k miles.

And yeah, around here rod bearings are only gonna be an issue on the S54. Like I said, with US oil change intervals, we don't need to worry about our M54s.

P.S.: This thread for example is telling the OP that the "normal interval" he should be using on his E46 is 30k Km or every 3 years: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/oelw...-t5490323.html

P.P.S.: In miles, the typical German intervals are 10k, 15k and 20k, just for clarification.
    Last edited by Galapolis; 10-16-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

That is absolutely bonkers. I didn't change the oil in my wife's wagon for almost a year and maybe 6-7k miles and it was sludge city. I try to stick to every 6 months since oil degrades with time AND use.

Yeah, I thought Germans were pretty good with maintenance. Understandable about regular consumers but enthusiasts changing every 15k... wow

I do it every 7-8k just because that's what I do every year.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Yeah, I thought Germans were pretty good with maintenance. Understandable about regular consumers but enthusiasts changing every 15k... wow

I do it every 8-10k just because that's what I do every year.
    That's 15k Km, not miles. Added it to every number for clarification. Still too long though IMO. I stick to 5-6k miles (same as your interval). Germans drive less and fuel quality is higher there, but as evidenced by all the failing rod bearings, that isn't enough to make up for their ridiculous intervals.

How does one get sludge at 6k miles? Maybe it’s the climate or how the car is driven?

I had no issues with my ZHP when I did 20-30k km intervals. Opening up the VCG was met with clean, slick, unworn parts like the cam lobes which are easy to inspect. I do drive my cars to redline on every single drive though. Not every red light, just once or twice when the conditions allow. Haha

My M3, I do 20-25k km intervals and Blackstone analysis shows average to below average oil/engine wear per km. I have now finally got the advice from Blackstone to swap out rod bearings due to copper and lead spike but mileage wise it’s no different than all other M3 bearings with 7.5k km intervals.

I thought my experiment with Liquimoly Ceratec and/or MOS2 would have helped to extend bearings, but with my testing of over 100k km, that wasn’t the case. Maybe that oil additive is better for other engine components which I don’t pay attention to. LOL

Disclaimer: my experience maybe different than yours while using science/tech to backup my claims.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    Rod bearings is a common replacement item on the M54 over at the German forums, so I wouldn't really worry about it. Nothing out of the ordinary. Any reason you went with the longer interval? (I might have missed it in the thread) They run really long intervals over in Europe, which is probably why they see rod bearing failures. American E46s tend to get mileages that they can only dream of, thanks to short oil change intervals that are common here.
    Literally just lapsed my mind. I usually shoot for 5-7k miles.

What are oil change intervals like in Germany? That's quite surprising, I've only ever heard of rod bearing issues with the M engines
    That's colloquially what I've heard as well; the S54 has rod bearing issues, the M54 is relatively rod bearing failure-free

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    That is absolutely bonkers. I didn't change the oil in my wife's wagon for almost a year and maybe 6-7k miles and it was sludge city. I try to stick to every 6 months since oil degrades with time AND use.
    Sludge? Really? Mine's always been dark but good consistency at 5-7k miles, and that's usually at one year intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    How does one get sludge at 6k miles? Maybe it’s the climate or how the car is driven?

I had no issues with my ZHP when I did 20-30k km intervals.
    Maybe fuel quality is higher in Canada? That's REALLY interesting though, central Canada is on the same Latitude as Germany and both you and the Germans chose 20-30k Km intervals. Seems like there might be a connection.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    That's colloquially what I've heard as well; the S54 has rod bearing issues, the M54 is relatively rod bearing failure-free
    I told them the same thing over at the German forums and I basically got stoned because the M54 rod bearing issue is "well documented." But like I said, the issue only exists in Europe, not in the US.

My custom ZHPizza throttle (dad)body came yesterday, replete with unique engraving. It'll go in sometime in the next month, along with a rebuilt/reinforced DISA and and a Dr. VANOS unit from last holiday season.

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Mileage: 78,436

I finally got around to replacing my factory VANOS with a DrVanos unit that my folks got me for the holidays last year. This was after I had replaced the Beisan seals back on 11/2017, but then heard grinding/clicking coming from the VANOS some time last year. I blame it as user installation error rather than the kit, as many people have used their kits with great success. I referenced their excellent procedure guide for this installation as well. Another symptom that I attributed to the "failing" VANOS is a mild (but noticeable) power dip around 2,500/3,000 RPM if you floored the throttle. I'm hoping the DrVanos unit will fix that.

Two useful videos from 50sKid:

Miscellaneous parts replaced:
    • VANOS gasket - 11361433817 (BMW). Technically the DrVanos kit came with a gasket, but I had already ordered the BMW part so I used that.
    • VANOS oil feed line crush washers - 32411093596 (2x, came with DrVanos kit)
    • VANOS plug o-rings - 11361433513 (2x, technically that is the plug with the o-ring, but no part no. exists for just the o-rings. Came with DrVanos kit)
    • Valve cover gasket kit - 11120030496KT (Elring)

Also replaced the main accessory belt with a Continental belt that fits the Turner Motorsport Power Pulley kit I have installed (6PK1590). The factory belt, 11281706545, is too small.

Still to do:
    • I have a German Auto Solutions (G.A.S.) DISA rebuild kit I plan to do soon using their precise instructions. Hopefully I won't muck it up like I apparently did on the VANOS seals.
    • Install ZHPizza's custom throttle body for more zoom zoom and hopefully no engine boom boom.
    • I'll also inspect the intake boots for cracks as they're original and 15 year old rubber.

EDIT: After toodling around today and a little bit of spirited driving, the low-end power dip seems to be gone, and just seems to have a little more power over the whole rev range. I'm loving it.
    Last edited by BMWCurves; 11-09-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Page 95 of 111 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast