Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 80 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
    Torquing questions for you folks:
    1. What is a good way to torque down the power steering pulley bolts if it's slipping even with the belt in place?
    2. What is a good way to torque down the alternator pulley nut for basically the issues as the previous question?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Torquing questions for you folks:
    1. What is a good way to torque down the power steering pulley bolts if it's slipping even with the belt in place?
    2. What is a good way to torque down the alternator pulley nut for basically the issues as the previous question?
    Take a stiff piece of metal and lock the pulley with two of the three bolts and torque the third, revolve and repeat til torqued.

Use an impact for the alternator. The pulley is held in place strictly by clamping forces. You'll want to find a way to lock the rotor from spinning as that is what the pulley drives. Couple ugga duggas should bring it snug so you can finish it with a torque wrench.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

For the pulley bolts, I just held the pulley with my hand and tightened with an air ratchet. If you look at the torque specs for those bolts, it's really low. I've never had a pulley come loose and I've had those pulleys on and off at least a half dozen times in the the last 8 years...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Take a stiff piece of metal and lock the pulley with two of the three bolts and torque the third, revolve and repeat til torqued.
    oh yeahhh

explanation: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...s-that-has-3-4

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Use an impact for the alternator. The pulley is held in place strictly by clamping forces. You'll want to find a way to lock the rotor from spinning as that is what the pulley drives. Couple ugga duggas should bring it snug so you can finish it with a torque wrench.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    oh yeahhh

Thanks for the suggestions, gentleman! I will attempt these tomorrow.

Side note: does the power steering pump assembly have some give to it? When I tightened down the bolts yesterday as best I could, the pulley itself was snug against the assembly, but it seems the shaft that it spins on has 1-2mm of play perpendicular to the direction of rotation.

Thanks to you fellows, I got everything torqued down yesterday. I still couldn't get my alternator to be torqued to sped because using a torque wrench was effectively tearing the old, but perfectly good, serpentine belt to the point I might damage it while it was held with vice grips. That said, I put a fair amount of thread locker on there and gave it several "ugga duggas" with the impact wrench, which were more effective than the first time I put it on there. It was also as tough to get it off this time as the first time, so I'm confident it's on there tightly now.

Thanks for sharing your experience of installing power pulley kit. I bought one as well during the sale and will be installing it soon and will refer to your thread and other people suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RUS_ZHP View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience of installing power pulley kit. I bought one as well during the sale and will be installing it soon and will refer to your thread and other people suggestions.

Yup! Some DIYs don't list it, but I'd remove the airbox for ease of access to the alternator. Also, definitely use some copper-based anti-seize on the back of the water pump and power steering pulleys (especially around the lip of the center hole of the power steering pulley).

Thanks. I am actually going to change water pump as well.

Hit a milestone today:

MRW I realize my car is now worth a little more than a tenner:

It was an emotional rollercoaster

Page 80 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast