Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 90 of 111 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
    Mileage: 76,603

Finally got around to having my windshield replaced by SafeLite after it suffered a crack almost exactly two years ago. It is very nice to have new glass. Unfortunately the forecast is sun for the next week at least, so I won't have any chance to really test that the headlights/rain sensor is working properly.

The real annoyance was fighting with my insurance. There was a huge back and forth with them which ended with them ultimately refusing to cover the $120 or so after my deductible for authentic BMW glass. Incredibly frustrating.
    Last edited by BMWCurves; 07-30-2020 at 05:06 PM.

That's still on my to-do list. What brand did SafeLite install ?
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    That's still on my to-do list. What brand did SafeLite install ?
    Pilkington from the looks of it. I'm not 100% sure on the exact part number. The receipt had some internal part number listed.

Sux, but at least it's done.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Mileage: 77,365 miles

1. Had the car paint corrected and then ceramic coated by the guys over at Autowerx in Newberg. Looks gorgeous, I'm really pleased with it overall. They managed to get a bunch of sap spots out of the hood and roof that had not relented to my own attempts at polishing. They also managed to really clean up the shadowline trim which was having similar issues. Polished the windows. Leatherique'd the interior and it looks fantastic.

2. Adjusted the windshield wiper blade arm so that it's roughly where it ought to be. I'm not sure how the YouTubers are able to get those arms off without some sort of puller tool to first get the arm off of the car, and then the little position washer out of the arm itself (which I purchased off Amazon specifically for this job). The interesting bit is that even if you line it up where you think you want it, ratcheting down the nut pushes the arm down. This means I had to do the whole process three times to get it roughly where I wanted. But pleased I got it done.

3. I'm hoping to tackle replacing the VANOS in the next week or two. Can someone verify that I have all the parts?
    Valve cover gasket kit: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-elring-p...11120030496kt/
    VANOS gasket: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/11361433817/

Nice, any closeup pics with your car after the ceramic coat? I'm sure it looks stunning. My car is in dire need of a paint correction right now but I have 1 year left at my apartment near campus and some stray cat has taken a liking to my paint.

I haven't personally done the VANOS but I think you have to disconnect the VANOS oil feed line, so you will want to get a couple crush washers as well for that banjo bolt
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Nice, any closeup pics with your car after the ceramic coat? I'm sure it looks stunning. My car is in dire need of a paint correction right now but I have 1 year left at my apartment near campus and some stray cat has taken a liking to my paint.
    I will when it gets washed again. I picked it up yesterday and it looked fantastic. Unfortunately, as you are probably painfully aware, dark paint accumulates dust almost instantaneously, so it'll need a bath first. The downside of it being corrected and cleaned up, the spots where there are paint chips and things show up more.

Sorry to hear about the cat! Scratches galore then, eh? My car is parked out side and it sits near a bamboo tree that I think is the culprit for the sap spots

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    I haven't personally done the VANOS but I think you have to disconnect the VANOS oil feed line, so you will want to get a couple crush washers as well for that banjo bolt
    Yup! I forgot to put that in there that I have a few.
    Last edited by BMWCurves; 09-05-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Also planned for the near future are some basic maintenance and fluid replacement:
    • Oil change with Brotella T6 and MANN filter
    • Coolant flush with BMW coolant
    • Brake fluid flush with SLE SL6-1
    • AC and drive belts
    • Cabin air filter replacement with MANN air filter (5.5 years old at this point)

Side note: I have some weeping from my power steering line (the one that's got two lines as one part, I think it's part no. 32416774215) and am considering replacing it. Related questions:
    • Is it worth replacing other lines?
    • Is Red Line D4 ATF still the preferred power steering fluid of choice or have people gone over to some other liquid?

Finally: who has replaced their final stage resistor (FSR, 64116923204) and did it solve any fluctuation issues with their cabin fan?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Side note: I have some weeping from my power steering line (the one that's got two lines as one part, I think it's part no. 32416774215) and am considering replacing it. Related questions:
    • Is it worth replacing other lines?
    • Is Red Line D4 ATF still the preferred power steering fluid of choice or have people gone over to some other liquid?

Finally: who has replaced their final stage resistor (FSR, 64116923204) and did it solve any fluctuation issues with their cabin fan?
    It may just be me but I've found the connections for those other lines can be a real pain to get off even with the tool I have for it. If just the high pressure hose is leaking and you want to save yourself the headache I would personally just do that. I've always just used synthetic Mobil 1 ATF since it's available locally and I usually forget to order it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpower04 View Post
    It may just be me but I've found the connections for those other lines can be a real pain to get off even with the tool I have for it. If just the high pressure hose is leaking and you want to save yourself the headache I would personally just do that. I've always just used synthetic Mobil 1 ATF since it's available locally and I usually forget to order it.
    I've heard about the relative stubbornness of the connectors in the power steering lines. I guess I'm asking if it's not wise to consider replacing those other lines since they're now 15+ years old, and I'd rather get them done in one fell swoop than repeat the process. If the other lines are unlikely to fail, then I'll just do the high pressure line. Thanks for your input!

Page 90 of 111 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast