Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 84 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
    Mileage: 64,659

Not too much to report. I put ~1,000 miles on the clock over the past few days during Fall Break and the car ran like clockwork. I drove down from Portland to Bend, then up to Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands in Washington. Averaged about 31+ mpg to Bend and back, and about 25 mpg to San Juans and back (a lot of puttering around Orcas hurt the mileage). It was a very nice break from med school.

Other odds and ends I may or may not have mentioned:
    • Having recently sold my interior and having an infusion of cash, I'm finally considering replacing the cracked windshield. The growth of the crack has stopped so I don't think there's eminent danger of it getting worse, and as a result there's no rush to get it fixed (other than the constant, glaring reminder of it every time I get in the car). I need to call around to BMW dealerships and see who they use for replacement windshields (or any suggestions you guys have).
    • The car is filthy. I haven't had time with school to wash it or basically do much of anything for it. Hopefully next weekend.
    • I scratched the front passenger wheel thanks to parallel parking in a "construction area" on some gravel that was actually very loose and the gravel gave way, causing the whole car to slide into the side walk
    • My maintenance spreadsheet shows every basic scheduled maintenance item is up to date except for a brake fluid flush, and I'm probably due to rotate the tires (every 5k miles).
    • I plan to "store" this car at my folks' place and test out using my grandmother's Honda Civic (2006, 14k miles) since parking at my apartment is street parking and my car just gets filthy sitting there. But that process may take a while with limited free time.

Good to hear, man. 2006 Civic with 14k miles ?!?! Amazing.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Glad you're still driving the whip bruh

Find you an independent windshield guy (not Safelite, etc) and ask him if he can get Pilkington glass for a BMW. That's the OEM stuff and not much more expensive than the recycled trash glass that Safelite uses.

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Good to hear, man. 2006 Civic with 14k miles ?!?! Amazing.
    It's lived a very rough 14k miles with my grandmother behind the wheel. Every body panel has some sort of scratch/dent. The left tail light was spray painted a beige color to cover up some stuff. A grandmother original!

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Glad you're still driving the whip bruh

Find you an independent windshield guy (not Safelite, etc) and ask him if he can get Pilkington glass for a BMW. That's the OEM stuff and not much more expensive than the recycled trash glass that Safelite uses.
    I really had trouble finding a decent independent windshield person around town. One I called refused to use anything but what they wanted, and another wanted $600+. My mechanic said to call local BMW dealerships and see who they contract out with to repair windshield issues and contact them directly.

Yikes do you have the rain sensor? I could see some guys not wanting to bother with that with how finicky they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Yikes do you have the rain sensor? I could see some guys not wanting to bother with that with how finicky they are.
    I do have a rain sensor, but that never even came up in the conversation.

Mileage on 01/01/18: 59,670.

Mileage on 01/01/19: 66,567.

Total miles driven in 2018: 6,897

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Mileage on 01/01/18: 59,670.

Mileage on 01/01/19: 66,567.

Total miles driven in 2018: 6,897
    Damn so Jealous of how your miles are. In my BRZ I was on point to set and average of over 20k a year but I totaled it. The ZHP has way less of a commute but still sees about 12k miles a year. The only reason I'm not over 150k yet is because I've been driving my GF's Fiesta ST while the ZHP was getting some much needed TLC.

Four year anniversary! (update)

So not a whole lot has been going on with the car recently (see: just driving it), but it occurred to me that yesterday was my four year anniversary of ownership! Over that period I've driven it 18k+ miles. That might be quite low to a lot of you, but I live relatively close to everything in Portland so my commutes are pretty minimal.

I still am enamored with this car. It's small, light, quick as I need, and as James May says, it gives me all the right "fizzing" sensations. It has its foibles such as rattles, a random day of a Christmas-tree-cluster-itis, and an intermittent, unidentifiable, mild grinding noise on startup, but I love it each and every day. I get thumbs ups every so often from other drivers and everyone that gets a ride remarks how much they like it. I'll never give it up until it stops putting a smile on my face.

Updates: Not too many of note. Medical school has kept me very busy so unfortunately the car gets less and less attention beyond general maintenance.
    • Oil change: changed the filter, the little green o-rings, and used Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. I sent a sample off to Blackstone for the first time, it'll be interesting to see what they say.
    • Brake fluid flush: It was due for its annual change. I used ATE SL6-1. I still don't trust myself to get all the bubbles out of the system, so I had my mechanic do it. It was nice excuse to chat with him as well, and get to meet the new mechanic they have over there now. They had a B7 RS4 in for several items that was being covered by some bumper-to-bumper warranty so they were tearing that thing apart.
    • Rotated tires: I was on my sister's snow tires for about two months out of fear of snow storms, but they never really came to fruition, so I was more just inconvenienced for two months. Whoopie. Downside is that the rear passenger tire of my summer tires is more worn despite them all being inflated the same pressure. Not sure what that's about, but for now it's rotated.

Things that still need to be done:
    • I purchased an M3 front sway bar off of eBay during some promotion. Now I need to find a Cic rear sway bar and swap both in. Probably won't get to that for a while.
    • M3 motor mounts. They're two years old at this point and I still haven't installed them.
    • I still need to replace the windshield. I attempted to repair it myself with one of those sealant kits, but I failed miserably, and potentially made it worse. For now, it's not affecting anything mechanically, just my soul.
    • Identify various rattles. There's one I know is from the glovebox handle, but haven't had a chance to see how I can fix that. Another sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger wheel area, really hoping nothing is going wrong there.
    • It desperately needs a paint correction and a ceramic coating, but I'm holding off until the summer.

Other than that, nothing major to report. I'm taking it up to the San Juans tomorrow, so it'll give me a chance to see if any codes I cleared on PASoft will return.

Hope all is well with y'all! I miss checking in with you guys.

Page 84 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast