Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 51 of 111 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
    Purchased an E46 M3 strut brace from a member over on E46Fanatics. It looks to be in great shape with all the hardware and for a good price. That brings my current list of maintenance mods as follows when I get home in June or July:
    • Oil change (nowhere near my normal 5k mile interval, but it's coming up on the year interval)
    • Brake fluid flush (1 year interval). This may include painting the calipers black, gun metal, or maybe blue.
    • Coolant flush (2 year interval)
    • Put back on my APEX ARC8 wheels (the car is currently sitting on my Style 135s in storage)
    • Install UUC TSE3 exhaust
    • Install E46 M3 front strut brace
    • Install E46 M3 motor and transmission mounts
    • Perform a full exterior detail
    • Perform an interior detail with Leatherique treatment
    • Swap carpets from all weather to carpet for the summer

Speaking of caliper colors, I thought I would ask you guys for your thoughts (again). I had previously thought about doing yellow, but I'm not sure now. I like the yellow for the contrast since my car has a dark exterior without a whole lot of accents. I'm now leaning more black, gun metal/metallic gray, or a BMW blue they use on brake calipers now in their sport packages. Thoughts? Below are a mock up with my calipers photoshopped yellow, red, and blue, as well as another member's black 330i with yellow calipers and some other caliper colors:

Yellow

Red

Blue (although I am not sure on that shade, I think it would be closer to the blue seen below)

Yellow

Black:

Gunmetal/Metallic Gray:

Blue:

William's 330Ci ZHP Maintenance and Project Thread

You could go two tone! I did mine light silver for the caliper and black for the carrier and anti rattle and a dark grey for the bolts. Looks really slick, especially with the black bushings. Forgive my wheel which is the dirtiest on the planet. Can't get a wash because it keeps raining.

Edit: yellow looks really good though

Hey William, nice to see an update on your thread.

I am also planning to get new calipers as part of my full brakes overhaul and paint them. I am thinking silver for the caliper and the bracket. Let me know which color you decide to go with.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Damn William, you've been busy! Even though you're not currently even living here, mods are being done on your car haha. I've been so involved with my own ZHP hunt and now my umpteen projects, that I haven't been searching too many other threads, glad I stumbled back upon this one though.

You did mention that you had picked up the UUC exhaust, but you did NOT mention that you also had a Gruppe M intake?! Once you get both installed this summer, I wanna hear this thing, I bet it'll sound awesome. How's the sound with just the intake? Congrats on the ///M3 strut bar too, I'm loving the understated clean look of mine. Looks like we have a lot of similar maint items on our lists, although I hope to have mine done by summer

I think you know my opinions on the brakes, but keep us posted on which you decide. In related news, this project thread is 51 pages long...unreal!
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

you post a bunch of pics, but not really any of your car and nothing recent. what the heck?

haha.

i'm sure you are going nuts not driving your car. i would be.

i would go silver on the calipers.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I like yellow but since the BMW performance brakes are the same color, I would avoid it... I vote for silver too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Yellow, silver or bronze would be my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
    You could go two tone! I did mine light silver for the caliper and black for the carrier and anti rattle and a dark grey for the bolts. Looks really slick, especially with the black bushings. Forgive my wheel which is the dirtiest on the planet. Can't get a wash because it keeps raining.

Edit: yellow looks really good though
    Interesting, I had not considered painting the anti rattle clip a different color or doing a two tone scheme. I'll have to ponder that one.

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Hey William, nice to see an update on your thread.

I am also planning to get new calipers as part of my full brakes overhaul and paint them. I am thinking silver for the caliper and the bracket. Let me know which color you decide to go with.
    Yeah...wish I had more to report for my car. Soon though! Are you buying all new calipers? How come?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadeez View Post
    Damn William, you've been busy! Even though you're not currently even living here, mods are being done on your car haha. I've been so involved with my own ZHP hunt and now my umpteen projects, that I haven't been searching too many other threads, glad I stumbled back upon this one though.

You did mention that you had picked up the UUC exhaust, but you did NOT mention that you also had a Gruppe M intake?! Once you get both installed this summer, I wanna hear this thing, I bet it'll sound awesome. How's the sound with just the intake? Congrats on the ///M3 strut bar too, I'm loving the understated clean look of mine. Looks like we have a lot of similar maint items on our lists, although I hope to have mine done by summer

I think you know my opinions on the brakes, but keep us posted on which you decide. In related news, this project thread is 51 pages long...unreal!
    Thanks, man! And yeah, plans are piling up, but that's a good thing. I'm excited; gives me things to do for my car, although first and foremost I just want to get in and let it stretch its legs out in Germantown area. The GruppeM sounds throatier and slightly louder (10-15% louder I would estimate at WOT above 3,500 RPM) than the BMW Performance intake which sounds slightly better than the stock airbox, IMO. If you go back a page you can see what I said about it. The GruppeM matched with the UUC TSE3 sounds great. I heard the GruppeM alone and with the TSE3 on NoVAphotog's car and it's what got me to looking for the TSE3. I'm reaaaaaally looking forward to getting mine on.

The M3 bar just popped up and it looks really clean and has all the caps and everything for a good price so I went for it. I know it doesn't do a whole lot, but it's factory and was in the M3 so I can't complain. And as you say, it's understated.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    you post a bunch of pics, but not really any of your car and nothing recent. what the heck?

haha.

i'm sure you are going nuts not driving your car. i would be.

i would go silver on the calipers.
    HAHAHAHA hahaha ha....ha....

I miss my car. So very very very much. But every day I'm in DC makes me thankful I did not bring my car because I wouldn't have much time to drive it, it would sit parked outside, and when I did drive it, it would be a hateful experience 80% of the time (traffic, being in central DC, mostly only have time to use it for errands).

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    I like yellow but since the BMW performance brakes are the same color, I would avoid it... I vote for silver too...
    The BMW Performance brakes are more Phoenix yellow, are they not? But I know what you mean, not really a factory color.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Yellow, silver or bronze would be my pick.
    So it seems like the votes are:
    Silver: 5
    Yellow: 2
    Metallic Gray: 1
    Bronze: 1

I'm wondering...is it bad to paint the calipers twice? Since I already have the yellow kit, I might just go ahead and do that, then paint over it if I really hate it and do something more subtle. Thoughts? Words of wisdom? Jokes about pickles?

My opinion - but the stock calipers are not large enough to be shown off in a bright color such as yellow. If I saw another E46 with painted calipers in something bright such as yellow or red, I would mutter "sigh...poser". It just doesn't look right. A conservative color such as silver or black would make it look clean and OEM-ish and prevent it from rusting and looking like crap.

Again, this is a personal choice - if painting it yellow makes you happy, go for it!!
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    My opinion - but the stock calipers are not large enough to be shown off in a bright color such as yellow. If I saw another E46 with painted calipers in something bright such as yellow or red, I would mutter "sigh...poser". It just doesn't look right. A conservative color such as silver or black would make it look clean and OEM-ish and prevent it from rusting and looking like crap.

Again, this is a personal choice - if painting it yellow makes you happy, go for it!!
    I agree that the stock calipers don't have enough of a presence. With that said, I'd say it still would look great in said colors from a contrast perspective, but you do run into that "just painted calipers" thought that some people get on the street.

Against blue, I'd choose yellow all day long. Black or silver are a bit too boring for my personal taste. Can't wait to get a second car so I can remove my black Wilwoods and give 'em a proper yellow paint job! Of course this matches my personality; I'm far from conforming, like to be unique, and am a bit of an oddball, so highly contrasting colors are what I'm all about.

The best advice I can give is go with what reflects your personality. Do you like to stick out, or are you more subtle?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 51 of 111 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast