Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 69 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    When I did my valve cover gasket, I started torquing to spec but it didn't "feel" right so I did the rest by hand... That was 90k ago
    FYI most ft pound torque wrenches can't accurately torque to a setting that low unless specifically design for lower settings
    This. I typically use my calibrated left hand torque wrench on the valve cover.

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    if you pull the plastic hose end off where it connect at the front corner of the VC, and have a peek inside.... that will tell you a lot. if there's mayo goop, you should replace. now, that said, it's summer and there likely won't be any, but it's worth a check.
    This guy?

Name:  quXKXbn.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  38.1 KB

This is what it looks like in mine, there appears to be goop (sorry for the crappy phone pics):

I always assumed my CCV would be gross given the driving I do and that of the previous owners. I really don't want to do the CCV for a while, and when I do, I plan to do the pilot O2 mod or a catch can OR the CCV mod from G.A.S.

doesn't matter, really. whatever you can find at your FLAPs.
    What is this "FLAPs" you speak of?

ha, oh man... nice one.

aaaaand to think i did have TWO M54B30's here ready to go in TWO Touring bodies! for shame.... hahahaha.
    Doing the wife's first to work out all the kinks for yours? Good man.

yep, exactly. i think the torque spec is something like 7lb-ft or something, but they do hit that stopping point then - if you use new grommets then the wee about of torque will hold the VC down a lot better.
    That's so little torque. New grommets will be used, so hopefully that'll help.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I have 230K on mine with no warpage. Plus that VCG is pretty beefy and would still seal well with any small warping that may occur. I do not support his claim.

Sent from my S8+
    Great, thank you! Since I hadn't heard it anywhere online, I wanted to see if you guys had any experience with it. It appears my mechanic, a very good guy who hasn't tred to oversell me on anything, is overly cautious from his own experience (he said he's had three overly warped M54 valve covers that would not seal with new VCGs).

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    When I did my valve cover gasket, I started torquing to spec but it didn't "feel" right so I did the rest by hand... That was 90k ago
    FYI most ft pound torque wrenches can't accurately torque to a setting that low unless specifically design for lower settings
    What didn't feel right, too little or too much torque? And yeah, I have a smaller torque wrench but didn't realize spec is 7 ft-lbs

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    This. I typically use my calibrated left hand torque wrench on the valve cover.

Sent from my S8+

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Great, thank you! Since I hadn't heard it anywhere online, I wanted to see if you guys had any experience with it. It appears my mechanic, a very good guy who hasn't tred to oversell me on anything, is overly cautious from his own experience (he said he's had three overly warped M54 valve covers that would not seal with new VCGs).
    Heard the same from a few mechanics (if it's warped the VC will still leak)

I have a feeling mine might be like that as well. My ex-BMW tech friend told me the same thing; he's had to replace a few valve covers before due to warpage. My VCG is newer (replaced late last year) yet I still see oil coming out from the side leaking onto the O2 sensor.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

CCV looks ok -- no mayonnaise. If you're feeling bold, you can blow into it and see if you hear it bubbling in the oil pan. That'll tell you if the little dipstick tube is clogged.

This guy?

This is what it looks like in mine, there appears to be goop (sorry for the crappy phone pics):

I always assumed my CCV would be gross given the driving I do and that of the previous owners. I really don't want to do the CCV for a while, and when I do, I plan to do the pilot O2 mod or a catch can OR the CCV mod from G.A.S.
    yep, that's the one. doesn't look horrible, but you definitely need to give it the beans, and take it for some extended drives.

to be honest, after gary @ G.A.S.' findings about too much vacuum applied the the crankcase (letting air and contaminants in through the rear main seal), i would be hesitant to do the catch can or "02pilot" mod without a vacuum regulator in place.

the G.A.S. CCV allows for slightly higher-than-stock vacuum levels. about 25% of what the catch can/"02pilot" mod will.

What is this "FLAPs" you speak of?
    Friendly Local Auto Parts store.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Heard the same from a few mechanics (if it's warped the VC will still leak)
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I have a feeling mine might be like that as well. My ex-BMW tech friend told me the same thing; he's had to replace a few valve covers before due to warpage. My VCG is newer (replaced late last year) yet I still see oil coming out from the side leaking onto the O2 sensor.
    Makes sense to me. I am just surprised I haven't heard much about it. Perhaps now that our cars are getting on 11+ years, more will start popping up. Hopefully not though.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    CCV looks ok -- no mayonnaise. If you're feeling bold, you can blow into it and see if you hear it bubbling in the oil pan. That'll tell you if the little dipstick tube is clogged.
    Nothing like a little mouth to mouth for my car, eh? To be clear, I should hear bubbling or no? I'm not particularly familiar with the CCV plumbing.

yep, that's the one. doesn't look horrible, but you definitely need to give it the beans, and take it for some extended drives.

to be honest, after gary @ G.A.S.' findings about too much vacuum applied the the crankcase (letting air and contaminants in through the rear main seal), i would be hesitant to do the catch can or "02pilot" mod without a vacuum regulator in place.

the G.A.S. CCV allows for slightly higher-than-stock vacuum levels. about 25% of what the catch can/"02pilot" mod will.
    Interesting, I didn't know your position had changed on those mods you had done yourself! Do you know what kind of testing Gary did i.e. how does he know those mods produce too much vacuum at the crankcase?

Remind me, when is your G.A.S. unit going in?

Friendly Local Auto Parts store.
    Ahhh...makes much more sense than what I had in my mind (Fucking Lazy Ass Parts(store))

Interesting, I didn't know your position had changed on those mods you had done yourself! Do you know what kind of testing Gary did i.e. how does he know those mods produce too much vacuum at the crankcase?
    he actually built a test rig for it - i think there's a video on his website. pretty cool. after seeing that.... yeah, i am intrigued for sure, and definitely more 'on the fence' about the catch can setup if left unregulated. the stock CCV is definitely still a steaming pile of dung for anyone living in a climate with temps that get below freezing.

the magic amount of vacuum required would be nice to know - enough to help those low-tension rings to seal better, but not enough to allow the RMS to be flexing enough to let air/etc in.

Remind me, when is your G.A.S. unit going in?
    i would love to install it now, but i think i'm going to wait until the motor swap happens. we'll see. the M54B25 in the red Touring is using a crapload of oil right now, so i might do it soon just to see....
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Yep, should hear bubbling as you're essentially blowing into the oil pan. The valve in the CCV opens under vacuum from the intake manifold. I actually broke that hose when I was blowing into mine, but it was cooked in Florida for 10 years, so brittle af.

Excellent thread here full of information and test procedures. Note that we do not have the vacuum line on our CCV's, but everything else is the same.

And here is Gary's test for too much vacuum that Peter was referencing.

Get to work, son!

Side question: What was the difference between your OE door panels and the ones from the M3? Leather type?

Page 69 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast