Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 83 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Ah I thought he added oil and now it’s a smudge near full. Didn’t think it would be a faulty sensor as he replaced it recently...
    ahh heck, i had no idea... oops.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    San is correct, I changed my sensor only last year if memory serves. The oil light went on approximately two months after I changed it. I'm not concerned, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I live on a hill and no matter what direction I go I have to go downhill for a solid 5 minutes, which probably pushes oil away from the sensor in the oil pan, giving a higher chance for triggering a false positive for low oil
    yeah, i guess that's possible. does it to it in your sister's car under the same conditions?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

William's 330Ci ZHP Maintenance and Project Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I think the dipstick is a crap measurement on these cars. I went through the same ordeal -- yellow oil light comes on after shutting off the car, check the dipstick, level is perfect, wtf, repeat. I finally changed the sensor thinking that it was faulty, but noticed that I only drained maybe 5 quarts of oil when I was doing it...dipstick still read normal...fudge
    Yup. I just keep it at the top of the range on the dipstick and assume it’s good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    yeah, i guess that's possible. does it to it in your sister's car under the same conditions?
    Not that I know of but she doesn’t visit my folks’ place that often so I’m not sure. What’s interesting is my father has mentioned the same issue, but it’s more rare than in my car (maybe once every 3-4 months vs my ~1 month)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I think the dipstick is a crap measurement on these cars. I went through the same ordeal -- yellow oil light comes on after shutting off the car, check the dipstick, level is perfect, wtf, repeat. I finally changed the sensor thinking that it was faulty, but noticed that I only drained maybe 5 quarts of oil when I was doing it...dipstick still read normal...fudge
    My oil changes usually only come up with a bit over 5 quarts too. I wonder if the dipstick could lose accuracy as it ages.

William's 330Ci ZHP Maintenance and Project Thread

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    My oil changes usually only come up with a bit over 5 quarts too. I wonder if the dipstick could lose accuracy as it ages.
    If the dipstick was removed to change the o ring or for whatever reason and it wasn’t seated properly even by a few mm, that can cause quite a big variation in its reading. Left alone I can’t see how it would lose it accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

That's a very good point San!
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Every oil change I do ends up taking between 6-7 quarts (oil filter takes some in as well). What are you guys doing?? lol

I actually chuckled when I read this.

Just for everyone's reference, the manual states that the vehicle's engine should be warmed up and checked a few minutes after shutting the motor off.

The exact text is as follows. As obvious as it may seem, there are a couple of points that some people miss, mainly Steps 1 and 2.

Checking the oil level
    1. Park the vehicle on a level surface
    2. Switch the engine off after it has reached normal operating temperature

3. After approx. 5 minutes, pull the dipstick out and wipe it off with a clean lint-free cloth, paper towel, or similar material
    4. Carefully push the dipstick all the way into the guide tube and pull it out again
    5. The oil level should be between the two marks on the dipstick.

I only bring this up because for years I would check my oil level when the engine was completely cold. This is how I thought you were supposed to check it, but then I read that in the manual and scratched my head. My garage floor is pretty level, but not entirely (car rolls slightly in neutral), so that could potentially mess with a reading as well.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I only bring this up because for years I would check my oil level when the engine was completely cold. This is how I thought you were supposed to check it, but then I read that in the manual and scratched my head. My garage floor is pretty level, but not entirely (car rolls slightly in neutral), so that could potentially mess with a reading as well.
    Did you check if there was a difference when doing it cold versus warm?

Did you check if there was a difference when doing it cold versus warm?
    There does seem to be a difference. Unfortunately the difference isn't consistent... sometimes it shows more when cold, sometimes it shows more when warm. It's really weird.

Using logic, I'd imagine checking it warm would show a lesser amount. Therefore, I go with the warm measurement, because I'd rather have a touch more in there than a touch less (since my car uses a lot of oil in general).
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Technically warm would show more due to the expansion of the fluid. I think depends more on how long you wait to check after turning off the engine... It takes a while for everything to drop back into the pan
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Technically warm would show more due to the expansion of the fluid. I think depends more on how long you wait to check after turning off the engine... It takes a while for everything to drop back into the pan
    Oil being sucked up into various places is why I would have thought it to show less. Interesting point you bring.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 83 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast