Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 86 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I think it's usually a lack of oil that causes the rattle at startup. @Sreten just did a big project to address that on his M5, but our cars shouldn't have that issue.

Are you sure it's the Vanos? Is it tied to a certain rpm or just time?
    It's localized, as far as I can tell, to the top front of the engine, right by where the VANOS is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sreten View Post
    Can you post a video of the startup?

M5 and M54 have totally different Vanos setup and my rattle was caused by oil draining from the Vanos chamber.
    Only time I heard Vanos rattle on M54 is when you hold rpms in 1.5-2-3k range.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I'll try and take a video sometime soon. Would love y'alls input.

I'm curious as to the grinding noise you mention that only lasts momentarily upon start up... could it be a pulley/tensioner? Will wait for video.

Tapping for a few seconds as lifters get oil? Mines always done it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I'm curious as to the grinding noise you mention that only lasts momentarily upon start up... could it be a pulley/tensioner? Will wait for video.
    I keep forgetting to take a video, but it is decidedly more pronounced when the front is facing downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWM3186 View Post
    Tapping for a few seconds as lifters get oil? Mines always done it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    I wish it were that, this has a much more localized/crunchy sound to it than sticky valves.

FUN UPDATE: I went to Bend this weekend. Made it all the way back to Portland last night without a sign of trouble. I stopped by my folks' place before I headed home for bed. As I was leaving the house and put the car into reverse, it sounded like the center console trim was loose because there was this "clinking" noise. I kept taking it out of reverse and putting it back in to try and isolate the sound, but it sort of went away after I pushed down on the trim so I didn't think too much of it. As I got going, I noticed there was a lot of play in the shifter while in gear, about 1"+. In hindsight I should have pulled over and parked the car where I was, but at the time I thought one of the plastic spacers had cracked and fallen off. When I got to the bottom of the hill and shifted second with traffic, I heard a clink of something metal hitting the road, the shifter just flopped, took a 90 degree turn, and there was a light "wap wap wap" sound coming from the transmission tunnel. The shifter was decidedly not connected to the transmission anymore so I nursed it to the nearest shoulder in front of a motel and parked the car.

After that, I called AAA and had them send a tow truck. I ran out into the road and was lucky enough to find the bolt that connects the shifter to the selector still intact! But I don't know the state of the rest of the shifter parts at the moment. I ended up having the car towed to my local dealership because my father's car is out of commission in the garage where I normally do maintenance, and I need to get back on the road sooner rather than later. New and fun adventures! Mileage is sitting at 69,099 miles.

tl;dr the shifter decided to take a vacation like I did.

Also, a lot of respect for the AAA guy. He was willing to give me a ride back to my apartment for free after dropping my car off at the dealership at 1 AM.

Last edited by BMWCurves; 05-27-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Yikes! That shifter looks like an athlete’s leg after an ankle injury.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Yikes! That shifter looks like an athlete’s leg after an ankle injury.
    It's about as floppy!

Gross

Oh, boy. At least this didn't happen in the middle of nowhere. I joined AAA 17 years ago, very happy so far. Hope your car is fixed promptly.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

I got a notification that you quoted my post but there's nothing here so you must be practicing witchcraft again

Could it be because the short shifter you installed was defective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Page 86 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast