Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

E46 superior to a M235xi? An interesting read.

A good friend sent this article over to me today, and I figured that the family would enjoy it as well. It is a comparo on the latest M235xi vs. the author's love of his older BMWs which he has enjoyed in the past.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...15-bmw-m235xi/

-Brettski

"Fifty thousand dollars is a lot of money, even in the post-QE world. If you have that much to burn or borrow, do yourself a favor and get the car that delivers M3-level power and 135i-level driver involvement. It’s called the Ford Mustang GT and you can use the ten grand you’ll have left over to get a nice winter beater. No, the Ford is not the Ultimate Driving Machine — but neither is this."

Damn!

No surprises in this review. It's what a lot of people have been saying and what I felt personally driving the M235i...yes they are "nice" cars, yes, you feel cool driving it, yes, you see/can use the luxury features and creature comforts of a $50k sports coupe, yes, you have a warranty (not much of one) but NO do you get the same feel, driver involvement and sounds of an E46.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

he doesn't really talk about the E46 much - just that he liked it.

it definitely is interesting though, and one reason why i suspect some folks are here (zhpmafia), driving these cars. they are the 'last of the analog BMWs', so to speak. mine is very cohesive; i just want to fine-tune some quirks (like dead shocks and paint issues, LOL) and keep enjoying it for a fraction of what a new BMW (or any other new car) would cost.

but, yeah, preaching to the choir here.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Interesting. We seem to be getting some different viewpoints and perspectives about this car. One review I read said it (manual 6 speed) was almost like driving a new, albeit much heavier, E46 M3 off the showroom floor. I'd love to take one for a spin and see what it was like to drive.

C&D M235i
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

I haven't read many articles, but this is the first one I've read that really hated the m235.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

All wheel drive and no manual? I would not even consider it.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I agree with Peter - our 'analog' E46's are, to me, definitely preferable to BMWs current electronically-laden cars. Interestingly, the 2 series cars are nearly identical dimensionally to the E46, yet are heavier! Yet another reason I see the E46 as the zenith of BMW designs - everything newer is bigger, heavier, more complex, far more difficult to maintain, and by most accounts far less involving to drive.

This is the first substantially critical review I've read of the M235, but I've seen, heard, and read a LOT of griping about BMW not having "it" as far as driving feel. Makes me glad I found a nice ZHP while I could!

So how do other new cars compare to the 235? Cuz that's all that matters to bmw. They're not competing with e46s, they're competing with audi and merc.

So, honest question, how does the m235 compare to... An S3? And a CLA250?

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Quote Originally Posted by Just_George View Post
    I agree with Peter - our 'analog' E46's are, to me, definitely preferable to BMWs current electronically-laden cars. Interestingly, the 2 series cars are nearly identical dimensionally to the E46, yet are heavier! Yet another reason I see the E46 as the zenith of BMW designs - everything newer is bigger, heavier, more complex, far more difficult to maintain, and by most accounts far less involving to drive.

This is the first substantially critical review I've read of the M235, but I've seen, heard, and read a LOT of griping about BMW not having "it" as far as driving feel. Makes me glad I found a nice ZHP while I could!
    yeah, finding a good one now is a wise choice if you ask me - i wish i was more patient when finding mine... but aside from paint issues, i have been very fortunate - no maintenance history but everything worked 100% when i bought it (aside from a bent wheel, warped rotors and burnt reflector bowls ). it has been a big year of maintenance, and an even bigger one on the horizon (preventative stuff), but it's a good car.

personally, i think the only thing i could move on to would be an E90 M3 sedan or an F30 M3 (sedan). the underpinnings of the new F30 M-cars are astoundingly good, with lots of beefed-up components and solid mountings. i think that is one area they are superior to the E46, for sure.

but all that electronic complexity? no thanks.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

As some have pointed out, the author was reviewing a M235xi which adds significant weight over the RWD M235i. Personally, I prefer reduced weight and an acceptable decrease in engine output over using an engine to compensate for added weight. I drove a 435xi with some performance package during a BMW event and although it had serious power, of which only about 50-70% is actually accessible on the street, it felt quite heavy. Seriously heavy in fact, and that took a lot of the fun out of it for e. I'd prefer to putter around corners at a reduced speed if the car is light and nimble. Again, just personal preferences.

I think the other difficulty comparing the two is the steering. E46 is hydraulic, the M235xi is electronic. I've only driven a handful of cars with electric steering. While they are getting better they don't feel as good as our E46's in terms of communication. I'm sure the M235xi is a very good car, but for what I enjoy it just doesn't tick the right boxes for me.