Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All good information here.

I'd also recommend checking the sidewall of your tires just to confirm they are rated to handle the pressure - they should be but it doesn't hurt to check.

I have a different tire/wheel size and setup so this is apples and oranges - but FWIW, I was running a lower pressure (6-8lbs low) in my Hankook V4s on factory 16s and I had awful handling issues in the rain. I talked with Dane and straightened myself out. Increasing the pressure closer to factory specs made all the difference in the world.

Have a safe drive! Congrats on the purchase! Take some pics on the road trip!

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

I swear I'm running 42/48......front/rear.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Riding on rocks! Do you see any abnormal center tire wear?
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Nope. All is well. I think mine are too high. I may be thinking wrong. I will check tomorrow.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The door jamb doesn't say if that weight is for max load, it just says that those are the pressures when cold. I run these pressures all the time. Where did you see it say that's the "max weight" pressure?

What you choose depends on the characteristics of your specific tires. The settings on the strike-plate sticker are recommended for the factory supplied tires and are just guidelines... a good starting point though.

I've run several different street tires on my car over the years: Original PS1, PS2, BFG KDW2, Nitto Invo, Dunlop Star Spec, and now Bridgestone RE-11's. I've had to vary the pressures used by a few pounds either way to get the handling I like. There's no single setting that worked for all of those different tires.

For instance, the RE11 has a softer sidewall than the Star Spec, so in order for me to get the crisp turn-in I like, 40psi is where they respond the best... but I find mid-corner grip is compromised with that much pressure, so I sacrifice turn-in for mid-corner grip and lower to about 37psi hot.

The Star Specs were blissfully happy at 36-38psi hot. They have it all... crisp turn-in due to their stiffer sidewall, outstanding stick mid-corner and beyond. I will get another set when these RE11s are used up. The RE11 is a great street tire, but for autocross and pushing it... the Star Spec excels for me!
    Jeff

Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Join Us!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

My tires say max 51, anybody ever ride maxed out?

My tire pressures were at the high end of 40 when I was on the highway in LA and the temps were around 100 outside. I can't remember my tire temps but they were running borderline in the "be cautious" zone. The ride was fine.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

From Tire Rack:

Advantages of Correct Tire Inflation

Maintaining correct tire inflation pressure helps optimize tire performance and fuel economy. Correct tire inflation pressure allows drivers to experience tire comfort, durability and performance designed to match the needs of their vehicles. Tire deflection (the tread and sidewall flexing where the tread comes into contact with the road) will remain as originally designed and excessive sidewall flexing and tread squirm will be avoided. Heat buildup will be managed and rolling resistance will be appropriate. Proper tire inflation pressure also stabilizes the tire's structure, blending the tire's responsiveness, traction and handling.

Disadvantages of Underinflation

An underinflated tire can't maintain its shape and becomes flatter than intended while in contact with the road. If a vehicle’s tires are underinflated by only 6 psi it could lead to tire failure. Additionally, the tire’s tread life could be reduced by as much as 25%. Lower inflation pressure will allow the tire to deflect (bend) more as it rolls. This will build up internal heat, increase rolling resistance and cause a reduction in fuel economy of up to 5%. You would experience a significant loss of steering precision and cornering stability. While 6 psi doesn’t seem excessively low, remember, it usually represents about 20% of the tire’s recommended pressure.

Disadvantages of Overinflation

An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when running over potholes or debris in the road. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities well, causing them to ride harsher. However, higher inflation pressures usually provide an improvement in steering response and cornering stability up to a point. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures. The pressure must be checked with a quality air gauge as the inflation pressure cannot be accurately estimated through visual inspection.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Autozone.com
    You can try 36 psi on all four tires

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast