Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Track Tire Selection - Not Full Slicks this time

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy new tires for my track wheels. Going to go with a non-slick for the first time in years (mainly so I don't have to swap tires at the track, nor if it rains). Tire choice is between the Hankook RS-3 and new Bridgestone RE-71R. It's still spring and the RE-71Rs are pretty new, so I'd really like to hear from anyone who has run them for HPDE over 90 degrees ambient temp. Outside of that specifically, any feedback on either tire, or if you've run both would be great.

Also to figure out is tire size. I am currently running Hankook Z214 slicks in 245/35/18 on Apex ARC-8 18x9 et42 with no rubbing whatsoever. Thinking I can squeak by on 255/35/18s on one of the tires above, but I'd like to hear from guys who are running this width square setup on a sedan. I am running 10mm spacers up front, none in the rear. -3.5 deg camber up front, -2.5 deg rear. Ride height 13.25" front, 12.75" rear on Turner H&R TrackSport coilovers.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Have you considered tires like the Toyo R888 or the Nitto NT-01 that have some tread? I ran the R888s for trackdays over in England and on a rainy weekend at Summit Point Shenandoah. I currently use the NT-01s, but the one time it was really raining at VIR I just kept my Dunlop StarSpec street tires on until some dry lines showed up. If you are wedded to the two options you listed then I have no useful input, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mko9 View Post
    Have you considered tires like the Toyo R888 or the Nitto NT-01 that have some tread? I ran the R888s for trackdays over in England and on a rainy weekend at Summit Point Shenandoah. I currently use the NT-01s, but the one time it was really raining at VIR I just kept my Dunlop StarSpec street tires on until some dry lines showed up. If you are wedded to the two options you listed then I have no useful input, sorry.
    I just looked, and the NT-01 doesn't come in the size I'm looking for. I haven't heard great things about the R888, although they are supposed to be the same tread compound as the RA-1, and I've run those many times in the past with good results. I'm really looking to stay in the 180-200 treadwear segment for this purchase.

RE71R seems to have the ravest reviews of the ones out currently. My buddy runs these on his E39 and loves them to death and says they are better than the RE11 in the dry.

RE11A was my all time favorite but it was pretty expensive compared to StarSpecZII or RS3.

If you are on slicks, its going to be a downgrade in traction so I would definitely think the RE71R would be your best bet.

Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec is a great tire. Holds up to heat very well and lasts a long time. It is the first tire I have bought more than twice. They are as fast as some DOT R-comps. It took me a few track sessions on Maxxis RC-1 to beat my Star Spec times.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    RE71R seems to have the ravest reviews of the ones out currently. My buddy runs these on his E39 and loves them to death and says they are better than the RE11 in the dry.

RE11A was my all time favorite but it was pretty expensive compared to StarSpecZII or RS3.

If you are on slicks, its going to be a downgrade in traction so I would definitely think the RE71R would be your best bet.
    I've also heard really good things about the RE71R. Think that might be a good choice for you.

RE71Rs. A CTSV just did the One-Lap with them and still had 4/32nds left.

Probably won't last as long as the RS3v2s, but the RS3v2s heat cycle out very early.

I get my RE71R set coming tomorrow.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    RE71Rs. A CTSV just did the One-Lap with them and still had 4/32nds left.

Probably won't last as long as the RS3v2s, but the RS3v2s heat cycle out very early.

I get my RE71R set coming tomorrow.
    I'm excited for this, it is definitely my next tire when I need tires.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    I'm excited for this, it is definitely my next tire when I need tires.
    First event I'm running is going to be this upcoming Sunday.

17x9 K8Rs with 255 squared. Currently on 8.5 245s, so I'm pretty stoked.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    First event I'm running is going to be this upcoming Sunday.

17x9 K8Rs with 255 squared. Currently on 8.5 245s, so I'm pretty stoked.
    Exciteddddd :D

255/40/17?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast