Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZHP vs M3

ZHP vs M3

So I have decided that I will be making my purchase at the end of the year.. and I'm TORN

Should I pick up a ZHP? (15k budget) or just get an M3? (18k budget if I do this)

What would be the pros/cons of each?
    What would you guys take into consideration?

I like the M3 because.. HELL its an M3, but the idea of DD'ing tears me apart.. but DD'ing a zhp is not as bad.. also 4 doors sounds nice.
    But I want to get back into a coupe. But I like 4 doors. But i want a coupe. HELP ME!

(also I know I'm not the most active person here, however I like this forum MUCH more than others, everyone's cool!

ZHP=DD
    M3=Track/Weekend fun ride.
    04 Vert/Sapphire Black/Black/Silver Cube/MT/CWP/Xenons/HK-NAV/BMW Performance Air Intake and CF Strut Bar

Keep in mind that even if you can pick up an E46 ///M for under $20k, you still have a car that commands $50k level of maintenance if you want to keep it in top shape. The ZHP is rarer than the ///M, easier to maintain from a cost perspective, and gives you a more "refined" driving experience. If you're looking for outright power and aggressive looks, then the ///M has it but will cost you much more in maintenance. Something to think about.

Another thing is if you think you will do okay doing most of the maintenance thru DIY.... keep in mind parts for an ///M is much more expensive than parts for the ZHP. Although in my case it does not matter because I have both the M3 and ZHP, I can tell you that it is much cheaper working on the ZHP

ZHP is the perfect car for an enthusiast's DD.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

An M3 is a fine street car. But as noted, you will spend more on maintenance/repairs on the M3. The ZHP is a better DD no matter how you slice it, but it's not like the M3 is a full-blown race car or anything, it is refined enough with sound deadening/ heat insulation/ amenities. If you have kids, the extra doors of the sedan make life easier.

That said...
    18K will buy you a decent-to-good M3, that will probably need a few things in the near future, if not immediately.
    15K will buy you a <100k, vanos-updated, cream-puff, enthusiast owned, one-owner California ZHP, that needs... probably just a Coby wrap and shocks, depending on if they were done.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    ZHP is the perfect car for an enthusiast's DD.

peter
    +1
    --Bryant

2004 330i ZHP Imola | 6MT | /// Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel | Khoalty Angel Eyes | eBay Headers | Euro RCR Light Package | Vibrant Performance Custom Exhaust

I love daily driving my ZHP but also love having my ///M to drive on occasion when I miss that power It's like I have the best of both worlds having these two in my garage

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cakM3; 05-05-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Danger of buying a zhp in this case is always wanting the m3. I never wanted an m3 cuz I want 4 doors and refuse to pay maintainence at that level. So if you'll always wish you had the m3, get the m3. Otherwise a zhp is pretty darn good.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

It's also worth pointing out small differences in cost that add up over time for a car that will be a DD, I.e. Insurance will be more for an M than a 330i, cost of fuel, etc.

| 2004 ZHP Coupe| 6MT | Silbergrau Metallic | Gray Leather Interior | Cold Weather Package | Black Cube Trim | Hamann Motorsport PG1 18x8/18x9 + Michelin PSS | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by fantinno View Post
    It's also worth pointing out small differences in cost that add up over time for a car that will be a DD, I.e. Insurance will be more for an M than a 330i, cost of fuel, etc.
    Funny you mention the fuel cost. My m3 gets better gas mileage than my old auto ZHP. Fair point on insurance and manual to manual gas mileage.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast