Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Clutch Start Switch Bypass Help

Hey all! Tonight, I attempted to bypass my clutch engagement start switch by adding a button in parallel with the connector that goes to the sensor on the clutch pedal. It's mounted in front of the OBD2 port on the driver's side of things. I began by reading and following this guide for what wires to pull. First, I clipped the blue/black wire and spliced it all back together with the button on the chassis side of the splice. Then I cut the purple/yellow wire and did the same. Here's a quick sketch of what I did (excludes the other two wires since they weren't used). I don't believe I've done anything inherently wrong, but the car will only start with the momentary button depressed. I ran it by a friend who's also in school with me, but he's a CompE so he's got way more circuits classes than I do in MechE, but he didn't seem to think that there's anything wrong with the sketch of what I did. I thought I understood basic parallel circuits. Let the signal flow through one of two paths to start, right?

Name:  2015-05-05 21.54.08 (Custom).jpg
Views: 2403
Size:  247.1 KB

It began raining so I closed up for the night, so I haven't gone back in to diagnose what it could be. I'm hoping something just came disconnected during reassembly. My original intentions were to add a button as a backup because my clutch stop and hot days often result in no-starts even though I know that the clutch is fully depressed (to the stop). Something something black car, black leather, black anything and everything. FWIW, the car still runs fine and I drove it after with no issues, it just won't start when the clutch is depressed, only when the button is and I'd like for the pedal to be my primary means until a hot day calls for the button.

i think you can bypass the clutch switch in PASoft?

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Must people disable it via programming because twisting them together disables cruise control. Button should work as well.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Coding will take care of this right quick... no need to go rigging up anything.
    Where are you located?

I guess it's a little late now... you've already cut wires.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Yes Pasoft will do this. Let me know if you would want one. Thanks!

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

OP, if you wanted the clutch start bypass you should have just coded this in your car. As mentioned above my post, this can be done thru programming. There is no need to cut wires to accomplish anything you can do thru programming... there are a lot of members who have knowledge on coding, all you need to do is ask

Well, I plan on digging back into this this weekend and can pretty easily undo the button and whatnot, but my objective was to still require the clutch to be depressed 99% of the time, as I often park both in gear and with the hand brake due to the hills here in Pittsburgh. I didn't want to hard code it off and get sloppy and accidentally start in gear, I just wanted a bypass for those few summer days when things get too hot, so that's why I opted for the button over coding. I see I didn't make that clear enough up front. My mistake.

I don't currently have a programming cable, but I have downloaded PA Soft and whatnot. It's on my list of things to buy. Though I didn't test cruise, this method with the button, not shorting them, should have no ill effects on cruise. When the button isn't depressed, it should be as if it's not even there. No circuitry is closed until the button or clutch is pressed in.

Managed to fix it today. It was just a loose connector going to the sensor on the clutch pedal. Reclipped it and all was good!

Reviving this old thread since a local ZHP owner has asked me to help him code out the clutch safety switch. Want to confirm the process using PA Soft:

- Navigate to EWS module
    - Select "Coding data"
    - Select "Settings and manufacture settings"
    - Select Manual transmission (default for US/Canada cars is "automatic gearbox / clutch switch (USA)")

anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes