Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Passenger Occupancy Sensor Replacement DIY

Update 9/17/16: Looks like this part is good for just over a year. Huge bummer. I'm guessing the warranty is one year. Started getting an intermittent airbag light a month ago (wife's daily - I spend little time in it). Finally got around to running diagnostics today - fault code 112 again. How is this not a recall item???

Update 9/19/16: BMW Silver Spring advised that there's a two year warranty and the dealer will replace it upon diagnosis. I just hope they don't take issue with the fact that I installed it myself. I don't mind to do it myself again as long as they supply the mat.

Update 9/24/16: Took the car in to Long Beach BMW this morning for diagnosis and the only diagnosis was a reminder of why I avoid dealers like the plague. They wanted $185 for diagnosis of a faulty part that lasted less than two years. Obviously I declined to continue since even the inflated price of the sensor is less than that diagnosis fee. Emailed BMW Silver Spring again to see if there's any way to continue with a warranty claim. If I can't get this warrantied I guess I'm gonna go the emulator route because I refuse to keep paying BMW for faulty parts every couple of years. I'll probably avoid genuine parts all together when possible as well in the future.

Update 10/10/16: The occupancy sensor mat was replaced under warranty at no charge by Long Beach BMW after speaking with the service manager and scheduling another appointment. FYI for anyone having this taken care of at the dealer, they're going to tell you that you have to do the control module at the same time and attempt an obscene uncharge on the part. This is not necessary. When picking the car up I asked for clarification about why they recommend this and was told they only do it to save themselves the couple of minutes it takes to replace the control module if they replace the mat and it turns out not be be the faulty part (either part failing will cause an airbag error 112 code).

As promised here is a DIY for replacing the passenger occupancy sensor matt. It really wasn’t all that difficult and took about two hours. I’m happy with the results. The upholstery looks exactly as it did before I started and fault code 112 is no longer showing. Of course I’m not a professional and any advice or instruction included in this DIY will be used at your own risk. I take no responsibility for anything that may result. If you have suggestions for how to do this better you should have given that input last month when I asked for help! No, just kidding. If anyone has any advice on how to do this more efficiently please share.

First, you will need a 16mm wrench, 3/8” 16mm socket & ratchet and possibly an 3” extension, T-20 & T-30 torx sockets, needle nose & regular pliers, side cutters and spring loaded hog ring pliers & ~12 hog rings.

1. Remove the back two 16mm bolts. Slide seat backward and remove front two 16mm nuts. The seat is now loose. Picture shows location of bolts/nuts and plug once removed.

Name:  IMG_2475.jpg
Views: 4460
Size:  327.7 KB

2. Disconnect battery.

3. Disconnect plug under seat. In pictures, insert flathead screw driver into gap below my finger and slide out. This will free the plug and it can be removed.

Name:  IMG_2478.jpg
Views: 5309
Size:  253.9 KB

4. Remove seat. Place seat on table just outside car if possible to make seat belt removal easier. Use 16mm wrench to remove one bolt attaching seat belt to seat.

Name:  IMG_2477.jpg
Views: 4312
Size:  205.2 KB

5. Tilt seat to access underside. Remove single T-20 torx screw at back of plastic side panel on door side of seat. Unclip two underside clips and jiggle front clip to remove. Remove plastic panel. (The clip shown second arrow from the left in the second photo inserts directly into the seat upon reinstallation. The others are installed reverse of removal.)

Name:  IMG_2472.jpg
Views: 4032
Size:  229.4 KBName:  IMG_2471.jpg
Views: 4051
Size:  204.5 KB

6. Seat switches are a separate piece attached to the panel removed in step 5. Remove the seat switch panel by unclipping the three clips at the top and rotate away from the two clips at the bottom.

Name:  IMG_2470.jpg
Views: 4100
Size:  210.4 KB

7. Remove seat switch plug by sliding carriage down until plug can be pulled out.

Name:  IMG_2469.jpg
Views: 4046
Size:  202.4 KB

8. Remove four T-30 torx screws on panel currently exposed on door side of seat. Remove panel.

Name:  IMG_2468.jpg
Views: 3959
Size:  192.8 KB

9. Remove two T-30 torx screws, one on each side, of plastic trim panel that wraps around front of seat. Unclip two clips underneath and to the center (shown in first pic) by pulling the clip toward the center of the seat gently. Remove plastic trim panel.

Name:  IMG_2467.jpg
Views: 3922
Size:  188.7 KBName:  IMG_2466.jpg
Views: 4025
Size:  192.6 KB

10. Remove plastic trim panel on console side rear of seat by removing single T-20 torx screw.

Name:  IMG_2465.jpg
Views: 4047
Size:  222.7 KB

11. Remove retaining strip for both bolsters. Start at back of seat and slowly pry strip off.

Name:  IMG_2463.jpg
Views: 3999
Size:  190.8 KB

12. Remove retaining strip for rear of seat and pull through gap between seat bottom and seat back.

Name:  IMG_2462.jpg
Views: 3974
Size:  212.2 KB

13. Remove hog rings from seat bottom. My seat had 11 hog rings though my occupancy sensor has been replaced at least once before so I can’t confirm that this is the original number installed. I drew arrows on the foam pad so I would know where hog rings needed to be replaced upon reassembly. Pull back seat bottom cover exposing occupancy sensor matt.

Name:  IMG_2459.jpg
Views: 4092
Size:  227.0 KB

14. Unclip occupancy sensor plug on bottom of seat and remove sensor matt.

Name:  IMG_2460.jpg
Views: 10252
Size:  278.7 KB

15. Install new occupancy sensor matt. Remove adhesive covers (four shown in pic) and adhere to seat foam. Note where occupancy sensor is slightly recessed into grooves in seat. Carefully run wire to plug on seat bottom.

Name:  IMG_2461.jpg
Views: 3893
Size:  266.2 KB

16. Reassemble in reverse order.

17. Have your QC guy look things over.

Name:  IMG_2474.jpg
Views: 3776
Size:  241.9 KB
    Last edited by itdnwiwbp; 10-15-2016 at 05:43 AM.

Excellent!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Very nice writeup Sir. Stickied for a bit.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Awesome. How much is a new sensor?

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I think mine was $127 from Tischer.

Awesome DIY! This is a little bit further down my list of things to do, but all I could think about when I was reading this is my guage cluster not showing an airbag light and how satifying that would be lol!

Looks like this part is good for just over a year. Huge bummer. I'm guessing the warranty is one year. Started getting an intermittent airbag light a month ago (wife's daily - I spend little time in it). Finally got around to running diagnostics today - fault code 112 again. How is this not a recall item???

Update 9/19/16: BMW Silver Spring advised that there's a two year warranty and the dealer will replace it upon diagnosis. I just hope they don't take issue with the fact that I installed it myself. I don't mind to do it myself again as long as they supply the mat.

Update 9/24/16: Took the car in to Long Beach BMW this morning for diagnosis and the only diagnosis was a reminder of why I avoid dealers like the plague. They wanted $185 for diagnosis of a faulty part that lasted less than two years. Obviously I declined to continue since even the inflated price of the sensor is less than that diagnosis fee. Emailed BMW Silver Spring again to see if there's any way to continue with a warranty claim. If I can't get this warrantied I guess I'm gonna go the emulator route because I refuse to keep paying BMW for faulty parts every couple of years. I'll probably avoid genuine parts all together when possible as well in the future.

Update 10/10/16: The occupancy sensor mat was replaced under warranty at no charge by Long Beach BMW after speaking with the service manager and scheduling another appointment. FYI for anyone having this taken care of at the dealer, they're going to tell you that you have to do the control module at the same time and attempt an obscene uncharge on the part. This is not necessary. When picking the car up I asked for clarification about why they recommend this and was told they only do it to save themselves the couple of minutes it takes to replace the control module if they replace the mat and it turns out not be be the faulty part (either part failing will cause an airbag error 112 code).
    Last edited by itdnwiwbp; 10-15-2016 at 05:43 AM.