Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LSD Install

LSD Install

Last edited by JB3; 07-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
    Hey fam, I'm getting ready to buy my LSD... I'd like to send mine in and have it rebuilt to 3.46. Reason for sending it in is my car is accident free, corrosion free, and 107K miles, and the mine looks and feels to be in excellent shape.

To those of you that have done it, did you DIY or have a shop do it?
    If you DIY'ed it, how long did it take you? I've seen estimates for 3-6 and 6-12 hours.
    What was the biggest PITA, the top diff mount bolts?
    Would you solo it, up until having to physically remove the diff?
    Any "Gotcha"'s?

If you paid to have a shop do it, how many hours were you charged?

The buddy that was going to help me has a huge house project that he wants to start, and I'm pretty convinced he's never going to make time to help out with this, so unless I can find some help via the local enthusiast group, It's going to be on me to DIY, or sub it out.

I don't want to end up like this guy:
    https://youtu.be/099douUPsOE?t=12s
    Been considering both routes, but I am leaning towards having mine shipped to the shop and having it installed there. They quoted 4 hours for the job, said they could do bushings and other items as well if needed.

There are plenty of DIYs out there, but I would rather not leave something so integral to the actual movement of my car up to "figuring it out as I go along."

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Last edited by JB3; 07-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Dropping the complete diff assembly is not that difficult. Biggest PITA is removing the 1 piece exhaust including the nuts that hold it at the front to the headers. Those nuts get rusted and usually snap which requires drilling out the pressed in studs. Then the actual remove of the driveshaft assembly and the diff is straightforward.

I would though replace the center carrier bushing on the drive-shaft and guibo as well as the 3 diff bushings that hold the assembly to the diff. That will require a special tool though since the bushings are pressed into the subframe.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

If you are just going to drop the diff then you don't have to drop the exhaust... Just have to unscrew the bolts close to the rear end muffler to get a slight ply on the exhaust, which should be enough to remove the sway bar... At least that is what I did... But to change the flex disc definitely have to drop the exhaust...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

When I purchased my LSD from Rob (Sockethead), he did the install for me and from my perspective.... Rob made it look very easy and he knew the torque specs of every bolt when he did this job. Of course Rob has done this several times so by the time he swapped my diff out it looked like a very easy job. It didn't take Rob 3-6 hours to do the swap either. He would have to chime in as to how difficult this is to DIY
    Last edited by cakM3; 05-21-2015 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    If you are just going to drop the diff then you don't have to drop the exhaust... Just have to unscrew the bolts close to the rear end muffler to get a slight ply on the exhaust, which should be enough to remove the sway bar... At least that is what I did... But to change the flex disc definitely have to drop the exhaust...

Yeah that is another option. However if you are dropping the diff, "might as well why you are in there" replace the diff bushings. Those take a beating and usually crack and create clunking noises.

But it is not a difficult DIY especially if you have a lift. No need to over-complicate things IMO

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Dropping/installing the diff is really easy. Just a little heavy obviously so a second jack/friend helps. I say tackle it yourself.

also, make sure you've got air tools (sounds like you do already), and the required socket for the driveshaft and axle bolts (i believe it's an E12 torx?).

i also agree about going slow and taking your time - i definitely don't feel young enough to be pulling an all-nighter on these types of projects anymore, so i'm actually going to rent some hoist time at a local garage to do it, and take a day off work (i also have a bunch of other "while i'm in there" things to do).

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Yeah that is another option. However if you are dropping the diff, "might as well why you are in there" replace the diff bushings. Those take a beating and usually crack and create clunking noises.

But it is not a difficult DIY especially if you have a lift. No need to over-complicate things IMO
    Completely agree... They will have to be changed eventually and changing the bushings doesn't take more than 10-15 min once the diff is out... And although the diy is not too difficult, it's something that you don't wanna do more than once especially if you do not have a lift...

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast