Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LSD Install

Last edited by JB3; 07-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.

LSD Install

Quote Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
    Would love to, but I just read that the tool is $400 and the DIY is the stuff nightmares are made of without it.

Thank you. My heart dropped when I read drop the exhaust. I'm only planning on lifting the rear and really don't want to go any farther than necessary.

No lift. Jack, stands, ramps, 4Runner wheels/tires.

Yep. Can get someone to man the jack. I think I'll tackle it. I'm going to try to get someone to come have a beer and operate the e-brake for me so I can rotate the axles while removing the bolts, I've heard that makes the job easier from two different sources.

Thanks Peter, I'm thinking 3-6 days to get it pulled, however long MFactory turnaround is, then the same amount of time to install. Might be done inside a month.

Don't have air tools, but can borrow them, although the 20gal compressor will run out of air relatively quick. The issue with this is that this entire job is going to take place after my 3 y.o.s are in bed, so I'm not confident a compressor will pass the wife's noise ordinance. Probably going to be hand tools for most, with an electric impact on the stubborn.

10-15 minutes? I must be reading about different bushings. People are saying days with a torch, hacksaw, and chisel, even with a homebuilt tool to press them in and out. I'd like to do them while I'm swapping the diff, but even I have my limits.
    I read those horror stories as well. But if you have the right tool for the job it's very quick and easy... I rented the tool from a forum member here... Don't have to spend $$$ for it... I replaced the diff bushing twice on my car (the big one at the rear the first time and the 2 smaller front ones the second time) First time took me 9 hrs and the second time took me about 5 and the car was on jack stands... But both times it took me about 15 min to take out and install the new bushing...

Edit: I followed bockchoys method...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by san; 05-21-2015 at 09:03 AM.

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Last edited by JB3; 07-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Would love to, but I just read that the tool is $400 and the DIY is the stuff nightmares are made of without it.
    the koch tools tool is $300 shipped - it looks to be worth every penny. i just bought one, haven't received it yet. should allow you to replace almost any bushing in the car with it.

Don't have air tools, but can borrow them, although the 20gal compressor will run out of air relatively quick. The issue with this is that this entire job is going to take place after my 3 y.o.s are in bed, so I'm not confident a compressor will pass the wife's noise ordinance. Probably going to be hand tools for most, with an electric impact on the stubborn.
    i assume your garage is attached to the house? yeah, it might be a little loud.
    i have a small pancake compressor and while it does cycle often, it's been getting the job done for almost 20 years now. just have to be patient.

an impact wrench/gun, whether air- or electric-powered, will make taking the driveshaft and axle bolts off easy stuff. i wouldn't bother wasting time without one.

10-15 minutes? I must be reading about different bushings. People are saying days with a torch, hacksaw, and chisel, even with a homebuilt tool to press them in and out. I'd like to do them while I'm swapping the diff, but even I have my limits.
    i have removed lots of bushings with my sawzall - it just plain works, every time. drill a few holes through the rubber between the sleeve and the outer shell, get the sawzall blade in there, and cut through the outer sleeve. then pound out with a small sledge and a drift of appropriate size. if you're doing this with subframe bushings, likely it's fine without the specialty tool because you should be replacing them with polyurethane. but if you're putting OEM subframe bushings back in, you'll need the tool.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

15 min is doable. Pinged a guy in NC that rents the tool.

I only ever want to do this once, so what's recommended, powerflex?
    i think there are folks that say that poly in the rear diff mount location creates a lot of audible diff whine in the cabin. but rubber wears out fast.

personally, i'm trying the poly bushing. i bought the ECS-branded unit as it was on sale and appears to be of a soft durometer.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

AKG Bushings. Recommended for street or performance use.

Name:  DM469lg.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  32.2 KB

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

are you running those, vas?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I run AKG FCABs & RTABs. Very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    are you running those, vas?
    I have the AKG fcab and love those. These are on my list when I do the rear diff bushings.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I'm just catching up with this thread. Charlie asked me to chime in. So here is my two cents..

Swapping the diff is one of the easiest things I've done on the car. You don't even have to take the tires off. I did drop the exhaust and the sway bar. As others said, you may be able to do it with the exhaust hanging down.
    Just take off the axel shafts at the inner flange and drop the drive shaft. (I didn't take out the axels or drive shaft.) The heat shield is in the way of the drive shaft bolts just take out the screws holding it in and let it dangle. Drop the sway bar, take out the three bolts holding the diff in and your done.

I'd definitely get an air ratchet at the minimum. You'll be there all day taking out all of those axel and drive shaft bolts by hand.

It took me two hours by myself using a floor jack, jack stands and air tools... if you haven't done this type of work before, I'd double that time.

EDIT: looking at the pictures I posted... it looks like I left the exhaust on the first time I did it lol

Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast