Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    spencers Guest

A Newbie's Guide to Autocross

After recently completing my first autocross event, I've decided to start a thread outlining some details for folks that wish to get involved. By no means do I know everything, but I'll touch on things to get started. Veterans, please feel free to add/correct any information listed.
    Last edited by spencers; 08-03-2011 at 08:52 PM.

^ This +1,000! AutoXing is some of the safest, cheapest, & most fun you can have in your car! You also really don't need a kick-ass car to have fun; I autoX'd my old '92 Nissan Sentra (~90 rwhp, 2300 lbs, 5-speed) & had the time of my life!

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Nice writeup......
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Good thread. Very helpful.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Spence, great work.

very good stuff!!!

Nice Write-Up, I'll come back later and provide some addition info after I re-read it.

And I've only gotten up to redline in second gear ~55-60 mph.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

I get my auto-x Numbers through here:

http://www.izoomgraphics.com/

Concerning Cones:

The cone is always marked around with a piece of chalk: This makes resetting cones easy if someone was to hit a cone

If you hit a cone, and it's completely out of the box, then that's a penalty. It doesn't matter if it's standing up or tipped over, it's going to be a penalty (2 seconds).

If you hit a cone, and it's over..but still touching the Box, it's a Penalty:

If you hit a cone, and it's still standing up and touching ANY part of the box, no penalty:

This also explains some Yes and No's of Cones...

Reference -> http://www.sccawiregrass.org/worker2.html

Cones Tipped over and pointed one way determines the direction of the next gate: As you can see, the cones in the background and towards the left image is pointing the direction of my next gate. These cones also mark boundaries of the course. It's ok if you hit and knock these cones...they do not count as penalties. The cones standing up still count as Penalties

If you see a cone standing up with a cone next to it pointing, this determines a gate where you need to maneuver around the opposite side of the cone, as shown:

In the same set-up, these cones can mark the start of a cone slalom: In this photo, you see that you have pointing cones in BOTH directions. This will make it and option slalom. The driver can choose either left or right, then slalom appropriately. (You can see in the very background a pointer cone)

I hope I covered most of the "cone" basics. I hope you don't mind me adding to it.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Awesome write up. I can't wait to start this Spring, I just need to find some sort of driving class first to work on my technique before I go to the track.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Nice, this makes me want to take my car more and more.
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast