Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Trans Upgrade Question

Greetings, from Florida!

I recently acquired a 2005 330i and have been going through the usual updates. To keep the automatic transmission cool down here in this hot weather, I've considered adding an additional trans cooler, but I want to make sure it would be compatible with the car's existing cooling system. In many of my previous auto trans-equipped cars, I've installed this or a similar unit:

Universal Super Cooler (Only)Name:  B&M.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  1.8 KB
    B&M#130-70266
    20,500 BTU
    11'' x 8'' x 1-1/2''
    1/2" NPT Inlet/Outlet

My question is whether this would be a smart option on a ZHP with 150,000 miles? I just installed the entire Turner Motorsports cooling upgrade kit, with a new radiator, hoses, and expansion tank, as well as the upgraded water pump. You might think it's overkill to install an additional trans oil cooler, but my experiences have been great in other vehicles, resulting in much lower temps.

Also, if I do install it, I have two questions:
    1. Using the picture below, what would be the best routing for the extra trans cooler - a. immediately after the expansion tank and directly going to the trans input line (which might end up with cooler than normal on a <80 Degree day), or b. installed at the output of the trans, where the temp would be hottest going into the B&M cooler (maybe a better option); and

2. If I mount it behind the kidney grille, I'm thinking of running Black Braided lines to keep the low profile. Since I don't have the car with me at the moment, does anyone know what size fittings and lines BMW uses for the trans input/output and expansion tank locations? The B&M unit has 1/2" connections on both the inlet and outlet.

Thanks, and if anyone else has installed an aftermarket trans cooler, I'd like to get some feedback.

Name:  BMWrad1.jpg
Views: 3360
Size:  238.1 KB

I installed one in our old 4runner and bypassed the radiator. All my investigation at the time lead to installing it flush to the front of the AC condenser, in the path of the cooling fan.

Edit to add that you might use INPA to get baseline trans temp readings before you install the cooler.

Did you happen to put a new Trans Tstat in when doing the cooling system? Also look into doing the Mechanical Fan Delete, works great! I had mine thru two really hot Vegas summers and worked perfect!
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k