Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

PSA: Fuel Pump Install (Fluctuating Fuel Gauge)

I ordered a VDO/Conti fuel pump from Pelican Parts and changed my fuel pump but for some reason the gas reading would fluctuate or read lower than actual.

The first pump I received was broken so I exchanged it but took a photo of it. The second pump was installed without much thought but I started to notice the aforementioned issue.

From reviewing the photo and seeing firsthand with the second pump - each had their arm unclipped from one of the plastic holder. Might be intentional to prevent bending from shipping or may have come loose from shipping.

Just wanted to let you guys know so you don't have to be exposed to fuel twice - yuck.

Name:  HH3NbRY.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  1.78 MB

Thanks for the heads up, I have one of those ready to install.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Mine is accurate but really slow to reach full upon fill up. I need to pull it at some point.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

jfoj found out about this and posted on E46F. You just need to snap the level sending arm in place.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=1248

Quoting jfoj:

WARNING for anyone that is buying a Siemens/VDO pump or even a pump from the dealer. As of that past month or so many pumps are arriving with the fuel sending arm not fully snapped into the plastic arm on the sending unit.

This MAY???? be an assembly issue that is going un-noticed for QC?

Before you install the pump, inspect the metal rod for the float and make sure it is actually snapped into the plastic sending unit arm that sweeps the level indication, otherwise you will have incorrect fuel level info and you will need to removed the pump again and snap the metal rod into the plastic arm.

No need to return the pump/sending unit assembly, just inspect the arm and make sure it is properly snapped into the sending unit arm before installation.

Anyone else finding this to be a problem, please update this thread, so far there have been just a handful of problem pumps, but I wanted people to be aware of this situaiton.

See this thread for some pictures of what the problem is with the metal float arm not being snapped into the level arm correctly - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1073902
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

My fuel pump arrived the same way. Luckily i compared the new with the old one and connected the arm. I think it is shipped in this manner to fit better in its box/packaging.

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats