Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Tire recommendations...

OK, so my tires have a little more wear than I thought when I bought the car, and they're actually a bit of a mess. Something I would have addressed in my offer if I had seen the car in person. The front two are both Pilot Sports, but the driver's-side is a PS2, and the passenger-side must be older (PS1?) as it's a totally different tread pattern and cracking. Lord. People amaze me. Just replace both, for chrissakes. Anyway, the rears are both Eagle F1s, but again look pretty different like maybe they're different revision, or it's just that the right-rear is worn much worse, and one of them is noisy to boot. So, I need to move up the tire replacement in the priority list, I think.

I'd like to stay with the 135's and the OEM staggered setup. I don't need to drive the car in the winter at all. I'll probably avoid driving the car in rain most of the time, but of course I could end up driving in some rain on a weekend trip or long outing. Weather in my part of the country can be pretty unpredictable. I probably won't track the car, but if I do, it would be a once or twice a year thing for fun; if I got serious about it, I'd probably go with a dedicated set of wheels and tires for track day.

I don't need ultimate performance, and I'd rather not spend north of a grand on a set of tires right now, anyway. Probably a good happy medium between dry performance, tread wear, and budget would be good. Something non-directional would be nice to be able to at least flip the backs if necessary.

Pilot Super Sports look nice and seem well-regarded at around $800, and Tire Rack loves them. People also seem to really like the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, and they're pretty inexpensive to boot at under $700. The Conti ExtremeContact DW (which I assume is similar to the original tires) also look good and are pretty damn inexpensive compared to the Pilots - especially with the rebate... I'd be looking at around $650 shipped in if I can't find them cheaper locally.

Sooooo, with all that background, any recommendations for a good tire that you guys are happy with or that you think I'd be happy with?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Apologies if this has all been hashed out already. If so, I'll do a search again.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    SC

Quote Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
    Pilot Super Sports look nice and seem well-regarded at around $800, and Tire Rack loves them. People also seem to really like the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, and they're pretty inexpensive to boot at under $700. The Conti ExtremeContact DW (which I assume is similar to the original tires) also look good and are pretty damn inexpensive compared to the Pilots - especially with the rebate... I'd be looking at around $650 shipped in if I can't find them cheaper locally.

Sooooo, with all that background, any recommendations for a good tire that you guys are happy with or that you think I'd be happy with?

Apologies if this has all been hashed out already. If so, I'll do a search again.
    I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the stock sizes (225/40/18 and 255/35/18) on the 135's. It appears they are in your budget. Place them into your cart on Tirerack and click the order button. If you were penny-pinching and still want excellent performance either of the other two options you listed would be more than fine. I think Super Sports are worth experiencing on our cars, it will be leaps and bounds ahead of the eclectic mix you have on there now!

Also...

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/archi...p/t-11660.html

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

1) Pilot Super Sports
    2) Bridgestone S04
    3) Conti DW

All 3 tires are summer tires. If you got the extra money to spend, get the Pilot Super Sports. However the S04 are right behind them in terms of performance and the price is much better. Majority of the people wont even notice the difference between the two tires on a street daily driven car. But if you get the Pilot Super Sports you have bragging rights lol :P Conti DW are much softer and quieter plus have a higher tread ratting.

One of my cars has the S04 and the other car has the Conti DW.

In the end, you can't go wrong with any of the choices.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    In the end, you can't go wrong with any of the choices.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Sweet! Thanks, guys! Exactly the feedback I was looking for.

Now, to go get buy-in from the wife to spend a bunch of money on the car when I've only had it a week. Planned approach is to make it all about safety. "Hey, I know it's expensive honey, but these tires really aren't safe... I mean, if it was just me it wouldn't be a big deal, but we'll have the kids in the car with us all the time..."

Of course, I'm only half-joking. Tires and brakes: The two most important pieces of safety equipment on a car.

Might have to wait a couple of weeks until I have the registration, taxes, and the bill for the transport all paid up, though.

SC

Michelin Pilot Super Sport FTW ... oh, wait a second. Too late to share my opinion.

Nah, never too late to share your opinion! Please do chime in!

Wait... Let me amend. Feel free to share your opinion any time, right up until I purchase a set of tires. After that, then you can shut it.

SC

Went through a set of PSS's - a fine tire, to be sure - in about 20k miles on the rear, still going strong up front. I opted to try DW's, thinking I could just put them on the back, then do the fronts later when necessary, leaving the PSS's up there. The car handled HORRENDOUSLY with them mixed, to the point I thought something HAD to be wrong, that couldn't just be the tire combo - could it? Well, it was. So I doffed the PS2's up front and went DW all around, and I absolutely LOVE them. They are about 2 lbs lighter than the PSS's and I could immediately feel the difference. Slightly nicer ride quality. Still stick like glue. Quiet. Cheaper. An all around win-win as far as I'm concerned.

I just went through a set of PSS rears on my Z4MC in 9k miles, for no apparent reason. I've gotten 25k out of previous PS2's on that car. Alignment was perfect. Discount Tire agreed that the wear was premature, and so Michelin covered half the cost of replacements. The normal warranty doesn't apply on a staggered setup, so I had to ask for help. I'll probably go DW on that car too next time it needs tires. I've been a PS whore since the originals came out over a decade ago, but now I'm willing to stray - the DW's have impressed me.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

I also had Eagle F1s on my ZHP when I bought it - horrible, ridiculously noisy tires.

I replaced them with a set of Conti DWS and was very happy with them. If you don't track your car or need every ounce of performance, I'd get these. I had Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 335i and loved them, although IMO they were overkill for a 100% street car. The difference in the prices you mentioned isn't all that big, so in your position I'd likely opt for the PSS again.

Tire recommendations...

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    I just pick up Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. Super soft compound, amazing grip, and feels is close to perfect when put on the balance rack for road force. Only thing is they don't offer a lower ratio tire in the 245 range. They do have our normal tire setup though if you plan on doing it on the 135's.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435072998.813077.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  211.9 KB

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast