Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Mauro's Touring 320d project / maintenance

Hello guys,

after few word about myself in the presentation topic, i wanted to start a thread about my car, a BMW 320d Touring 2003 having currently 248000km (sorry, i live in Belgium but it should be around 152000miles)
    This car is mainly used by my girlfriend as i do have a company car (which is a BMW 320d F30). But this is definitely like "my baby" as i am working a lot it on it and have a lot of projects i would like to achieve.

This is the list of options the car has stock :

Maintenance
    All the maintenance have been done by BMW dealer so far. No specific things, just regular maintenance with filters and oil done every 30000kms.

The car was quite cheap compare to other models with the same equipment and mileage. It cost me around 3500€ (a bit less than 4000$)
    At that price of course, i had to do the normal maintenance but also some other parts had to be changed.
    I did :

- Front and rear suspension
    - Front control arms
    - new front and rear brake
    - water infiltration in the trunk fix done
    - Right half shaft replacement

It cost me around 800$ with my father's discount.

Modifications
    This will certainly be my most active part of the thread, as i really love to work on cars when i have free time. I will step by step put pictures of the things i have done and link the first post to them, but it is so much work that i won't be able to do it directly i think

Things i have done so far :

- M wheel with remote installation (done)
    - LED plate illumination installation (done)
    - Eonon D5150Z installation (done)
    - OEM BMW flashlight installation in glove box (done)
    - Enhanced roof light and foot well light installation (done)
    - NCS Expert installation (done)
    - Sun visor with light installation (done)
    - Angel Eyes SMD (done)
    - M2 bumper installation (planned near September/October).
    - TPMS installation (work in progress, obviously done according to JupiterBMW)
    - Harman Kardon installation (all parts received, i just need to find the time to do it)

Last edited by mauro23; 06-27-2015 at 09:17 AM.

First thing i had to do on this car except the regular maintenance was a water infiltration in the trunk. All the carpets were wet, so i decided to disassemble everything to get a clear view from where the water was entering the car.
    As strange as it sound, most of the water was coming from the handle of the trunk. The gasket was damaged and one screw was missing because no clip-on cage nut was present behind. From this handle, the water entered the license plate lights and when it was full of water, it was entering the car wetting also the acoustic foam behind the plastic coverage.

Previous owner probably looked where this infiltration was coming from, and they damaged a lot of plastic parts and the acoustic foam as well.

I repaired the gasket of the handle, test then if it was ok and i saw standing in the trunk while my girlfriend was putting water on the car that still i had a small one from above the handle.
    Beleive me or not, it was coming from the BMW logo. This logo have 2 small pins to center it on the trunk. There should be small gasket on these pins, and they were gone.
    After repairing that one too, everything was fine and i don't have water inside my car anymore (y).

Here is the pictures of the job :
    The damaged gasket :

Home made repaired :

So much water that the license plate lighter gets rusty :

The missing clip-on cage nut on the right :

Hopefully, my father have a lot of these things in a box

No the same as the oem clip-on cage nut, but it should make it :

a small idea of the water i got inside the car :

Dusty carpets :

The piece of acoustic foam i had to place :
    Last edited by mauro23; 06-22-2015 at 09:09 PM.

When i received the car and did some inspection, i realized that the right half shaft was loosing a lot of grease. I cleaned it, tried to change the half shaft boot but nothing to do, the grease was coming out anyway, probably because it was so rusty that the grease was coming out the part itself. The rust was probably coming because an overheat (hand brake blocked or so ?).
    That's how was looking the one i replaced :

Since this job is done, my rear wheels are still clean
    Last edited by mauro23; 06-23-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Now that everything was repaired/fix, i finally had the time to do some little modifications .
    I started with the wheel. I already had the remote on it, but it was the squared version, i didn't liked it very much.

Some pictures of the modification :

Before :

in the meantime :

After :

Quote Originally Posted by mauro23 View Post
    First thing i had to do on this car except the regular maintenance was a water infiltration in the trunk. All the carpets were wet, so i decided to disassemble everything to get a clear view from where the water was entering the car.
    As strange as it sound, most of the water was coming from the handle of the trunk. The gasket was damaged and one screw was missing because no clip-on cage nut was present behind. From this handle, the water entered the license plate lights and when it was full of water, it was entering the car wetting also the acoustic foam behind the plastic coverage.

Previous owner probably looked where this infiltration was coming from, and they damaged a lot of plastic parts and the acoustic foam as well.

I repaired the gasket of the handle, test then if it was ok and i saw standing in the trunk while my girlfriend was putting water on the car that still i had a small one from above the handle.
    Beleive me or not, it was coming from the BMW logo. This logo have 2 small pins to center it on the trunk. There should be small gasket on these pins, and they were gone.

After repairing that one too, everything was fine and i don't have water inside my car anymore (y).
    Good detective work !

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Good detective work !
    Thanks Fredo.

I also changed the license plate lights. It is not a big deal, but as they were full of rust, i toke the time to change them for LED models. Result is quite good, it is not too bright and quite similar as the OEM license plate lights from my F30. I will post a picture comparing them tonight, but right now it looks like that :

When i bought the car, the most important option missing for me was the navigation system. So i started to look some guides to understand what an OEM navigation system was able to do on a E46 (as i don't know a lot about that generation, my first company car was an E91 and then the F30).
    The possibility of the OEM navigation system was good, but i was a bit disappointed by not having an USB connection possible nor Bluetooth music streaming.
    As these are the system my girlfriend and I uses to get music into the car, it was not starting well with the OEM Nav system.

I searched then alternatives, like Dynavin, Eonon, Erisin, ...
    Most of these devices have few problems (Eonon), and if they don't, they are quite expensive (Dynavin)...
    I was looking to get something really simple for my girlfriend (so exit the Android devices, not good for car usage according to me) and which had a good UI, looking like an OEM device. I finally bought the Eonon D5150Z. Most of the problems seems to be solved, it has a beautiful UI (looks like new OEM I-Drive UI) and have a lot of possibilities :
    - music through front USB, Micro SD card, Bluetooth streaming and rear USB cable (optional i will come later on that)
    - Bluetooth phone communication with internal microphone or external one
    - Navigation software based on Windows CE. I went with Igo Primo and I am quite happy about the quality of that software
    - DVD player (don't care about that, but it is in it-
    - TNT reception (don't care too)
    - Support rear camera (one of my next modification)

Once i got the device, i started the installation. It is quite easy, almost plug and play when you don't come from the OEM Nav system. But when it comes to the rear USB plug, i realized that it was an optional plug on this device and that, of course, wasn't present on mine.
    I started to look around how to add this plug as i don't like to have an USB in front, it is quite easy to damage it if you hit your USB stick.

Anyway, i disassembled the unit and soldered directly a plug on the motherboard of the radio. I also did a DIY on another forum, i don't know if we can post a link here ?
    I then put this USB plug in the glovebox, perfect place for me quite like the OEM location of newer BMW.

Now some pictures

The place where i have putted the GPS antenna, i found that it was the best location so far, as the cable isn't long enough to go to the original place in a Touring (under the top plastic coverage of the trunk as far as i remember) :

I get a minimum of 10 satellites lock, so i guess it is a perfect location .

A picture of the unit in place daylight :

and one during the night :

The USB plug in the glovebox :

And some pictures of the rear USB cable i have added to the device :

Last edited by mauro23; 06-22-2015 at 10:41 PM.

When i saw this OEM flashlight with charger in the glovebox, i couldn't resist to buy one on Ebay with the charger dock and installed it right away It is not really powerful, but it can help in case of.

This is how you start a project thread! Welcome and awesome work.

When you were asking about "gimbal" I think it's "bearing" by the way?

Sent from an HTC One

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    This is how you start a project thread! Welcome and awesome work.

When you were asking about "gimbal" I think it's "bearing" by the way?

Sent from an HTC One
    Thanks NoVA I have just looked a bit into your thread, your car is really beautiful, i like it very much. I already did some hours of work on the car indeed, that's why i put couple of posts in the same time, more to show you what i already did...

Regarding "gimbals", i assume the translation isn't good and it is not the bearings (this one i know it without a translation tool ). So if i show you that image, what would be the good word for that part.
    I unfortunately don't know all the terms in English for mechanical parts

Name:  cardan.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  73.5 KB

Wouldn't it be "cardan shaft" ?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast