Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I also replaced the storage center console with the cup holder model. I don't know for you, but i prefer that one

Before :

After :

My car didn't come with all the fancy lights on sun visors, footwell lights and roof light with the small additional map reading lights.

The hardest one were the sun visor lights, for which i had to wire the fuse number 6. I did it as most OEM as possible.
    First of all, i had to cut the rooflining (not sure about that one ), but hopefully some marks were present to know exactly where to cut :

For the wires, it is not really complicated, just a fuse bringing the 12volts, lights and in between lights and ground a switch inside the sun visors.

As i haven't been able to get the original connectors, i had to build some with old computer parts :

The car deserves the fuse now

and this is a good thing done

About the footwell lights, not really complicated as well. I connected both lights to the X10148 connector on top of the fuse box.

Finally the roof light with additional map reading lights. Weird thing about that one is that i had that one at the back but not in the front. In order to get the new roof light working, you need to connect an additional wire to the connector, directly from the plus X10189 on top of the fusebox. Again, not a big deal to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mauro23 View Post
    Thanks NoVA I have just looked a bit into your thread, your car is really beautiful, i like it very much. I already did some hours of work on the car indeed, that's why i put couple of posts in the same time, more to show you what i already did...

Regarding "gimbals", i assume the translation isn't good and it is not the bearings (this one i know it without a translation tool ). So if i show you that image, what would be the good word for that part.
    I unfortunately don't know all the terms in English for mechanical parts

Attachment 20412

Wouldn't it be "cardan shaft" ?
    Thank you!

And others will have to chime in, but I think they all mean the same thing, driveshaft, axle shaft, cardan shaft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_shaft

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Thanks for your help.
    Seems that a lot of people call it drive shaft, so let's go for that one .

If you say driveshaft, people will think you're referring to the shaft that connects the transmission to the rear differential (in rear-wheel-drive cars). The pictured part I've most commonly heard referred to as an axle or half shaft.

When I Googled "half shaft", the most common part pictured was the piece you are referring to. If you Google "driveshaft", it'll show the big shaft that connects the tranny to the diff. It sucks when there are so many words for similar things!

I'm loving the progress you're making on this car. All of these mods are subtle, OE improvements that make the car more enjoyable. Good job!
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    If you say driveshaft, people will think you're referring to the shaft that connects the transmission to the rear differential (in rear-wheel-drive cars). The pictured part I've most commonly heard referred to as an axle or half shaft.

When I Googled "half shaft", the most common part pictured was the piece you are referring to. If you Google "driveshaft", it'll show the big shaft that connects the tranny to the diff. It sucks when there are so many words for similar things!

I'm loving the progress you're making on this car. All of these mods are subtle, OE improvements that make the car more enjoyable. Good job!
    Thanks az3579, i modified my posts with "half shaft", i also confirm that the best results comes from these words on Google . Yes, as you said, so many words for similar things and it is quite a nightmare for me as for these specific words i have to search the right translation as i don't know them and by time to time, translation tool just screw up the thing ... btw, what do you mean by "OE improvements" ? I don't get the OE part ?

Well, i am indeed not trying in a first step to make the car more beautiful, powerful, put some big wheels or whatever. I am more searching to add few options i like with the goal to get a more "comfortable" car at the end. I know it sounds strange for a 33 years old guy, but i prefer to have a car with a lot of options than a car with big wheels, beautiful bumpers and sport chassis . But i understand people who does prefer these things and i don't criticize them. That's not the point, it is just that i prefer the options

Quote Originally Posted by mauro23 View Post
    Thanks az3579, i modified my posts with "half shaft", i also confirm that the best results comes from these words on Google . Yes, as you said, so many words for similar things and it is quite a nightmare for me as for these specific words i have to search the right translation as i don't know them and by time to time, translation tool just screw up the thing ...
    That's why pictures are worth a thousand words!

Well, i am indeed not trying in a first step to make the car more beautiful, powerful, put some big wheels or whatever. I am more searching to add few options i like with the goal to get a more "comfortable" car at the end. I know it sounds strange for a 33 years old guy, but i prefer to have a car with a lot of options than a car with big wheels, beautiful bumpers and sport chassis . But i understand people who does prefer these things and i don't criticize them. That's not the point, it is just that i prefer the options
    I'm with you with regards to options. It's really nice that you started with a car that has a lot of options to begin with. I noticed you have sport seats, automatic climate control, a 6-speed manual, heated seats, rain sensor with auto lights/wipers... these were all options for those cars in Europe so it's good that you didn't have to retrofit so many of these items! That would have greatly added to the cost. It's always best to start with a well optioned car because retrofitting things is a lot of time, effort, and money overall. I'm going to keep an eye on your thread.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Hadn't read every detail yet but great work on all you've done so far.

sent from mobile device
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

That's why pictures are worth a thousand words!
    Indeed

I'm with you with regards to options. It's really nice that you started with a car that has a lot of options to begin with. I noticed you have sport seats, automatic climate control, a 6-speed manual, heated seats, rain sensor with auto lights/wipers... these were all options for those cars in Europe so it's good that you didn't have to retrofit so many of these items! That would have greatly added to the cost. It's always best to start with a well optioned car because retrofitting things is a lot of time, effort, and money overall. I'm going to keep an eye on your thread.
    I was searching for a car with a least Xenon headlights, heated and leather seats, rain sensor and cruise control. The reason is because i did all these things on my previous car and it was a huge amount of work as you say. It was an old Opel Vectra B with the Isuzu engine, and i even retrofit cruise control while this option wasn't existing for that engine .
    So for the new one, i would like to do different things and not start the whole transformation again :-D

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Hadn't read every detail yet but great work on all you've done so far.

sent from mobile device
    Thanks johnrando

Here we are, the last modification i already did on the car, the Angel Eyes.

I did it the best I could and i also mounted a light reduction module, so when the lights are on, the Angle Eyes are lighted at 50% only. I wanted the most OEM installation as possible. To do so, i used an official relay socket from BMW and i used the original fuse location to wire everything. The relay is used to have daylight and fade in/out capabilities. I used the fuse number 4 for the +12V after ignition and the number 39 for the permanent 12V (the number 39 is the phone fuse in theory, but i won't use it for that purpose so ...). As everything is in the car at the fuse box location, i only have 2 wires going in the car, passing to both part of the engine (one through the footwell passenger side and the other one through the DME box). I toke the ground directly behind the headlight as you can see on the picture bellow. I hope you will like this kind of wiring, i am waiting your feedback .

Relay pre-wired

Placed near the other relays of the car :

The light reduction module :

the pins to use the OEM fuses :

Fuses 4 and 39 wired :

Wire going through the passenger footwell :

And driver's side :

Using the light connector to wire the light reduction module so that when lights turn on, the angel eyes brights at only 50% :

Ground and wires behind the headlights

And how it is looking at the end :
    Last edited by mauro23; 06-27-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast