Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leaking rear passenger shock

So the rear passenger shock on my ML350 is leaking. In fact, I suspect it has been so for almost a year (been hearing loud BANGs from that corner when riding off-road). The shock is covered in "mushroom"-looking junk, whereas the other shock is clean.

Would you guys suggest replacing both rear shocks at the same time? Or all four corners? Anything else worth replacing down there? Perhaps a full suspension refresh? I'm on air suspension. Car has 120k km / 74k miles on it, and I believe it's on all original components.

Same thing happened to me about a month ago. At 97k miles, I figured it was time to do the rear shocks. Changed the upper strut mounts and added reinforcement plates. Reused the bump stops.

Next week or so, I will do the front shocks. Figured if one of them failed, they will all fail soon.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

always good to do all 4 at the same time.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I recently went thru this but on my ZHP it was a rear driver's side blown shock. I replaced both the driver's and passenger's side rear shocks. If anything....replace them in pairs

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk

Does the ML350 have traditional shocks or is it something mercedes specific (airmatic, ABC, etc)>

Shocks are always specified as an "in pairs" replacement, at the minimum. All four is best, but doing them in pairs is the minimum.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Thanks, guys. Pair it is. Unfortunately a crazy expensive replacement due to the air suspension (airmatic) - need to look around and check aftermarket options.

The Airmatic struts are know to develop leaks at the top as the rubber cracks.
    I'm not sure about the gunk, but there is a repair kit for the upper rubber mounts that can be applied across all struts.
    If it's not that, you're looking at a crazy expensive new strut.

More than likely there are regular cool struts as an aftermarket option which you may want to consider.

I haven't been able to talk to any of the local dealerships yet, but my mechanic (who's serviced all my cars for the last ~5 years) can get Bilstein shocks (specifically for my air suspension) for $950CAD + tax. A Toyota-mechanic buddy ran the numbers on his end and got a similar (slightly lower) price. If I'm replacing two of these, that's $2.5k with labour. This, along with a few electronics issues that have been coming and going over the last few months got me looking for other cars.

I test drove a bunch of trucks (need lots of room for my current dog & upcoming second one - in a few years - as well as high clearance and 4x4 for adventures), and wasn't happy with anything. The 2016 Tacoma (for sale in a few months) might be a winner, but at this point I'm leaning towards fixing everything and keeping the SUV for another couple years (as originally intended).

So I'm looking around for prices online.

Option 1: The same Bilstein shock that my mechanic can get, but from Amazon for $525USD ~= $750CAD after currency conversion and taxes.

Option 2: This DEDC shock, again from Amazon, $387USD ~= $550CAD.

Option 3: Dealership. Almost guaranteed to cost more than either of the options above.

My mechanic agreed that with traditional shocks, replacing both at the same time is the way to go, but said that with air shocks I can get away with replacing just one, as the car will level itself out (if I don't plan on keeping the car too long).

Turns out my rear camber arm bushings are also cracked, and while not in too poor of a state, they could be replaced.

At this point I need to decide between the Bilstein and the DEDC shocks. I've never heard of DEDC - can anyone provide some feedback? I think I'll do both sides, along with the bushings, with the intention of keeping the car for at least two more years.

Just got real lucky - found the Bilstein mentioned above, brand new but without box on eBay for $330USD. Bought it, and will have it by the 15th. Also found a local store (http://www.bilsteincanada.com) that carries the same shock for $611CAD + taxes = $684CAD. Will call them tomorrow to grab a second one. Looks like I've got both Bilsteins for $1154CAD, which is a relative "steal."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast