Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Recurring steering angle sensor codes when adjusting steering column

Over the last three years, I've had three separate incidents where adjusting my steering column (particularly for reach...i.e. in and out rather than up and down) has caused my DSC and Brake lights to come on steady orange. It looks like this:

Name:  IMG_3350.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  88.1 KB

Each time, when the codes were read, it said something about a problem with the steering angle sensor.

Each time, a simple reset got rid of the codes permanently. I.e. as long as I left the steering wheel where it was, everything was fine and the lights stayed off. However, today is now the second time that someone moving my steering wheel has caused the same lights to light. And I'm assuming that when I get the codes read, it'll be the same issue.

Can you think of any reason that telescoping the wheel would cause this sensor to throw codes? And maybe more relevantly, anything I can do other than just resetting the codes? This is pretty annoying since telescoping the wheel is a pretty reasonable thing for a driver to do when they get in. Would really love to avoid paying $100 each time this happens (and I head to a dealer/mechanic to clear the codes).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2004 E46 330ci ZHP Coupe | Mystic Blue/Black Leather

For about $50 you can get a OBD scanner and be able to read/reset codes yourself. There is a running deal within the family for these, I do not have the thread easily retrievable on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2004 330i ZHP ESS TS2 supercharged
    Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit

$35 for PA Soft from Tony, and you can read and reset the codes yourself. As for what maybe triggering this code by simply adjusting the steering wheel, sorry no idea. Maybe the more experienced members can weigh in here.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...MW-SCANNER-1-4
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

And now a first: the lights cleared today. No action taken. Hmph.

2004 E46 330ci ZHP Coupe | Mystic Blue/Black Leather