Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sebring International Raceway - 1 Devlin - 0

Well as some of you will already know due to my Facebook post On Saturday my Fiance and I as well as a few of our local BMW group went to Sebring for an SCCA PDX.

All was going great until the end of the second session when I pulled into the pits with a loud knocking coming from the car.

Luckily one of the cars running with us was our local Indy in his E39 540 wagon "shop truck" He took a look and a quick sound and said kill it bottom end is done.

We all became very confused as there were no warning signs, no low oil light, no cel, no loss of power, no big bang like something broke and no loss of any fluids.

Luckily one of the SCCA Instructors lives near me so he let me borrow his truck to rent a Trailer from U Haul and he kindly towed my car home.

As of this morning my Indy Pierre is digging in and starting the diagnosis. He is starting with the obvious and looking for metal in the oil and filter. If metal is found then obviously we have internal damage and a dead motor.

But he is also interested in the dual mass flywheel.

I first noticed the knocking after I had an off, and the car stalled as I tried to pull back on track, if there is no metal in the oil he thinks I may have broken the flywheel and worse case then would just be a clutch job.

I should know something today and will keep this tread updated.
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

Let's hope it is just the flywheel! Fingers crossed!

Just spoke with my Indy.

Bad news but also maybe good news.

Oil Filter is full of metal and cylinders 4&5 had low compression. Using a scope there appears to be no damage to the tops of the pistons and no damage to the cylinder wall so it looks like just a bottom end problem.

He is pulling the oil pan next, maybe today maybe tomorrow to confirm it is a failed bearing. if its just a bearing i may still be slightly lucky and just need a bottom end and not a whole new motor.

Will continue to update but probably wont have much more info for a day or two.
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete

Hopefully it will be bearing replacement Devlin...sorry you have to go thru this...

How many miles on your motor when this happened by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    Hopefully it will be bearing replacement Devlin...sorry you have to go thru this...

How many miles on your motor when this happened by the way?
    Thanks Chuck, just over 125k miles.

Also, I spoke with my Indy again during lunch.

We decided the amount of work needed to pull the pan is not that much less than what is needed to pull the motor.

So he will pull the motor this week.

This will then allow me to do most of the disassembly and hopefully reassembly myself as well as replace the CCV and OFHG at the same time knocking these items off my to-do list as well as save on labor costs.

I can also install a set of headers I have at this point as well and inspect the clutch and other items while its all apart.

So in the end hopefully I'll just be paying for the labor of pulling the engine out and putting it back in.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Subbed

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

But would a bearing explain the low compression? Perhaps the metal killed the piston rings and that would explain the loss?

At least its a good time to do some "while you're in there" items, like oil pan baffle, CCV, OFHG, oil pump nut.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
    But would a bearing explain the low compression? Perhaps the metal killed the piston rings and that would explain the loss?

At least its a good time to do some "while you're in there" items, like oil pan baffle, CCV, OFHG, oil pump nut.

Good luck
    That's the part we arnt sure about yet especially since the pistons and cylinders look clean with a scope send down the spark plug tube.

And yes all this items plus headers and disa kit are on the to-do list while the engine is out.

Upgrade oil pump nut too

http://store.bimmerworld.com/gsr-m52...aft-p2210.aspx

Especially since you see track time.
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    ESS Twin Screw Stage 2 - Wavetrac - Headers - Borla - BMW Performance
    Turner Motorsports - Powerflex - Hawk Performance

Build thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...yan-s-2003-ZHP
    Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
    Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote Originally Posted by 328ioc View Post
    That's the part we arnt sure about yet especially since the pistons and cylinders look clean with a scope send down the spark plug tube.

And yes all this items plus headers and disa kit are on the to-do list while the engine is out.

Hmm, before anything is done. Definitely do a LEAKDOWN! that will show ya where the issues are

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast