Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    What if you're the 3rd owner of the car and it was first sold in Florida?
    2004 Sedan | Imola | Black Leather | Black Cube

Just got this.

The friendliest forum on the planet.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

^I just got that too.

Original Recall from the NHTSA
    Model Year(s): 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
    Mfr's Report Date:
    June 20, 2014
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 14V348000
    NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: AIR BAGS
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 0
    Summary: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is conducting a limited regional recall for certain model year 2001-2005 325i, 325xi, 330i, and 330xi, and 2001-2006 325Ci and 330Ci vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and equipped with Takata-brand air bag inflators. Upon deployment of the driver side and/or passenger side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.
    Consequence: In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of either of the frontal air bags, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle occupants.
    Remedy: BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the frontal air bag(s) free of charge. This recall is expected to begin during August 2014. Owners may contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-525-7417.
    Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
    Last edited by ELCID86; 06-24-2014 at 08:53 AM.

metal fragments? That seems like a pretty serious risk. I am surprised they are limiting the recall to cars "currently" registered in those states.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

^No kidding. Nothing like a little shrapnel in the afternoon.
    "Cam"

2009 Ultrasonic Blue Mica/Alpine White ISF
    1998 Nassau Blue/Grey C5 Corvette 6spd Sold
    2003 Imola Red/Alcantara 330i ZHP 6spd Sold
    2002 TiAg/Black M3 6spd Sold

background on all of this with a few interesting comments I quoted:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/27/t...story-feature/

""There's some speculation there that moisture is getting into the inflators, but nobody has proven that yet," said Chris Martin, a spokesperson with Honda. "As we call more cars back and get a chance to test them, then we'll have a larger data set to figure out what the reason is that these are going off. If they can determine the root cause, there's potential for expansion. So there is more information to be determined.""

So it may grow. And even better:
    "Three injuries were reported in those six complaints. NHTSA described them as "minor" in nature, and in paperwork filed with the agency, Honda described an injury sustained in an accident on August 6, 2013, as resulting from "an energetic deployment of a driver's airbag."

In that incident, the driver lost sight in the right eye.

"The diver (sic) side airbag inflator ruptured and propelled a one-inch piece of shrapnel into the driver's right eye," according to a complaint filed with NHTSA. "Loss of sight and severe lacerations to nose requiring 100 stitches.""

LOST SIGHT IN AN EYE. Minor injury, huh? This makes me a bit more concerned. I have been in a accident resulting with airbag use. The skin on the bottom of my face was scraped up really bad and I was swollen and cut up for a few weeks. They REALLY hurt. I wish BMW would just replace all the affected airbags. And they describe even more nasty injuries in the article along with 2 deaths from severed neck arteries from the metal pieces.

Everyone should read it. It is very interesting.
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

I will be home on July 5th, and I'll be taking my car straight to my dealer. With two small children, I'll be making sure this gets taken care of ASAP.

I will of course post more details and let you all know how they handle it. My dealer knows me quite well and they know how well I take care of my car, so hopefully they'll be accommodating.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    background on all of this with a few interesting comments I quoted:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/27/t...story-feature/

""There's some speculation there that moisture is getting into the inflators, but nobody has proven that yet," said Chris Martin, a spokesperson with Honda. "As we call more cars back and get a chance to test them, then we'll have a larger data set to figure out what the reason is that these are going off. If they can determine the root cause, there's potential for expansion. So there is more information to be determined.""

So it may grow. And even better:
    "Three injuries were reported in those six complaints. NHTSA described them as "minor" in nature, and in paperwork filed with the agency, Honda described an injury sustained in an accident on August 6, 2013, as resulting from "an energetic deployment of a driver's airbag."

In that incident, the driver lost sight in the right eye.

"The diver (sic) side airbag inflator ruptured and propelled a one-inch piece of shrapnel into the driver's right eye," according to a complaint filed with NHTSA. "Loss of sight and severe lacerations to nose requiring 100 stitches.""

LOST SIGHT IN AN EYE. Minor injury, huh? This makes me a bit more concerned. I have been in a accident resulting with airbag use. The skin on the bottom of my face was scraped up really bad and I was swollen and cut up for a few weeks. They REALLY hurt. I wish BMW would just replace all the affected airbags. And they describe even more nasty injuries in the article along with 2 deaths from severed neck arteries from the metal pieces.

Everyone should read it. It is very interesting.
    Damn, I kind of want to replace the airbag on my own dime in that case.

Why the hell isn't the M3 a part of this recall?

Jon. Ask them if there is a way for those of us not in FL, etc. To get our airbags changed out at some point. If there is a way I'll be calling BMW ASAP.

Terra, that's a good question. Was wondering the same thing.

Hmmm. My son Kaylor just moved to Englewood, FL the first of June in his '05 330xi. About a week after getting there, his airbag light started coming on. Never had before. It's an intermittent occurrence and has not been on in the last several days.

Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast