Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Any interest in aftermarket aluminum interior pieces?

Today I was sitting in my car and looking at all the wear spots in the plastics (mostly the plasti dipped parts) and thought it'd be cool to have black anodized aluminum replace the high wear areas. Particular areas that came to mind were the cup holders and the steering wheel trim.

Another thought was to replace the door handle with something less chrome lol.

My work revolves around 3D modeling and I like to work on projects in my free time as well so this could be done over the next few months.

Just a thought I had.

A really cool idea. From the perspective of why they made them the way they are though: these pieces as they are (when brand new) feel really nice. Metal doesn't have a very nice feel to it. The tactile feeling of the soft-touch material is nicer to deal with, IMO, even if it doesn't last as long.

A very very very well designed product made of anodized aluminum, however, may sway me, depending on just how OE it looks. It's hard to pull off, but if you can, I'd be down.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by melonz View Post
    Today I was sitting in my car and looking at all the wear spots in the plastics (mostly the plasti dipped parts) and thought it'd be cool to have black anodized aluminum replace the high wear areas. Particular areas that came to mind were the cup holders and the steering wheel trim.

Another thought was to replace the door handle with something less chrome lol.

My work revolves around 3D modeling and I like to work on projects in my free time as well so this could be done over the next few months.

Just a thought I had.
    In my experience, aftermarket mouldings & body parts never fit right, and that's the #1 issue of importance for me. If you can get the correct fit, I'm sure you'll have people lining up to pick these items up.

While on the subject, someone told me (years ago) that manufacturers get their mouldings copyrighted, so that's why aftermarket companies never make identical parts, but rather ones that are "just" off in fit. No idea whether this has any truth to it.

Hm..I'd be interesting in seeing what the steering trim would look like. I'm not big on aftermarket interior pieces but you could be onto something. Like kerunt said above, its all about fitment.

Quote Originally Posted by QC_ZHP View Post
    Hm..I'd be interesting in seeing what the steering trim would look like. I'm not big on aftermarket interior pieces but you could be onto something. Like kerunt said above, its all about fitment.
    +1
    --Bryant

2004 330i ZHP Imola | 6MT | /// Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel | Khoalty Angel Eyes | eBay Headers | Euro RCR Light Package | Vibrant Performance Custom Exhaust

Thinking about it, interior pieces such as steering wheel trim and cupholders being metal is probably a very bad idea. If it's very hot inside the car, you could burn yourself just touching those pieces, both of which are easily touched and easily forgotton about.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Thinking about it, interior pieces such as steering wheel trim and cupholders being metal is probably a very bad idea. If it's very hot inside the car, you could burn yourself just touching those pieces, both of which are easily touched and easily forgotton about.
    Agree 100%, but they still make aluminum shift knobs, etc.

Wld def be interested.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Agree 100%, but they still make aluminum shift knobs, etc.
    Yeah, and I'm shocked people buy them. Not being able to start driving the car till it cools off gets old pretty quickly.

sent from my Droid Turbo
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun