Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Storage

Winter Storage

Ran across these idea's for winter storage and thought I would share....

1. Wash it up really good.

2. Wax.

3. Drive around the block to dry brakes off.

4. Fill tank with fuel. This will help prevent condensation from forming in the tank. A fuel stabilizer will also help keep the fuel "fresh" until spring.

5. Add an extra 10-15 PSI of air to each tire to prevent tires from developing "flat spots"

6. Install a battercharger designed to maintain a full battery. A conventional "trickle charger" can overcharge a battery if left on all the time.

7. Change engine oil and filter if it has not been done from some time. Used engine oil becomes contaiminated by moisture and products of combustion, replacing the oil will prevent this from happening.

8. Sprinkle moth balls around the exterior of your vehicle if you suspect micemay be in the area. The odor can keep mice away from making a winter home in your car. A plastic bag can also be placed over your tailpipe.

9. Park in gear, or in PARK if an auto. DO NOT apply parking brake

10. Pull the plugs and fog the cylinders with WD40, re-install the plugs. WD is a water disbursement agent and will keep the bores dry and pit free. And once put away ---- don't drive it until spring.

11. Cover up if you want as well

It is also best not to start your car during storage, over 90% of all engine wear occurs during the first moments of a cold start. Idling your engine can also build up harmful moisture. If you do choose to periodically start your car, bring it up to operating temprature by driving it instead of allowing it to idle.

Last edited by danewilson77; 11-08-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Add GR330ZHP info
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Yes....

Laundry fabric softener sheets also work good to keep rodents away...smell good too

Added #10 above.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Nice, will keep in mind if I ever move to a cold climate.
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

Bump...so you guys can start planning.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Ran across these idea's for winter storage and thought I would share....

6. Install a battercharger designed to maintain a full battery. A conventional "trickle charger" can overcharge a battery if left on all the time.
    Can anyone recommend a charger that is designed to do this?

I plan on "storing" my ZHP for this first winter, but will be probably be taking it out maybe once every two weeks on nice days to keep the fluids flowing and to prevent any moisture from building up. So it won't be completely untouched all winter, just not kept as the daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by sum1orotha View Post
    Can anyone recommend a charger that is designed to do this?

I plan on "storing" my ZHP for this first winter, but will be probably be taking it out maybe once every two weeks on nice days to keep the fluids flowing and to prevent any moisture from building up. So it won't be completely untouched all winter, just not kept as the daily driver.
    This is what I use...works great............

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000FQBWCY

Winter storage what is that?
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

2009 Horizon Blue Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White Mini R56 "Justa" Cooper 6spd
    On the hunt for an e30, z3, or 318ti...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
    Winter storage what is that?
    I think that's when you keep your beer in the snow just outside the garage so it's extra cold.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    I think that's when you keep your beer in the snow just outside the garage so it's extra cold.
    LOL...I do that winter storage.
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

2009 Horizon Blue Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White Mini R56 "Justa" Cooper 6spd
    On the hunt for an e30, z3, or 318ti...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast