Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Threaded View

Cool BMW E53 X5 Panoramic Sunroof FIXED!

I know there are a few others around here who have X5s so I'm betting there's a decent chance some of you have had the panoramic sunroof break on you. And if not, I hate you, you lucky bastid.

Like many, many others on the 'net, the back portion of my wife's sunroof would not close after opening to the vented position. After much searching, I found a guide on how to mechanically disconnect the rear glass to allow the rest of the sunroof to function as usual. The "fix" is actually an irreversible modification to a portion of the cable drive mechanism, but since the actual fix would cost thousands of dollars (replacing the entire cassette), & the sunroof was effectively inop as-is, I wasn't too concerned.

The procedure was surprisingly simple & straightforward: manually crank open the sunroof, remove a retaining spring & guide bar, use some sort of cutting tool (e.g. Dremel) to remove a triangular tab on the drive cable plate, repeat on the other side, then reinitialize the sunroof's range of motion.

EDIT: And here is the post with a link to the guide.
    Last edited by Crickett; 03-11-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: found repair guide

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC