Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oil level light?

So, yesterday afternoon my oil level light came on. I checked the oil and it seemed low so I added a quart of oil. It seemed a little odd that I would have to add oil not even 3k after an oil change, which happened to be the first change I've done with this car. I checked the level after adding and it was good.

This afternoon, the light came on again. I'm like 'Really!?' I check the oil and again it's about a quart low. So, same dance and such. Add a quart wondering where the hell the quart I added last night went. I didn't see any drips. All of the underpaneling that I can see looks dry and clean. There were no fresh oil puddles under my car where I park. And it's running perfectly. That's not all. After adding the oil and checking the level, which was again good, the light pops back on after I start the car. I drove it home and re-checked the oil yet again and it was still good.

WTF!?!?!?!?

-Kyle
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Any smoke from the exhaust? Startup or afterwards?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

If the oil light is coming on after you start the car and then going out, that indicates that the oil level sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.

I don't like a quart of oil disappearing over night, though.

Are you in a cold climate area? If so could be the start of a ccv issue.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    If the oil light is coming on after you start the car and then going out, that indicates that the oil level sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.

I don't like a quart of oil disappearing over night, though.

Are you in a cold climate area? If so could be the start of a ccv issue.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    Great point Keith. Also check under the hood for a leaky VCG (valve cover gasket) or a leaky oil filter housing gasket. The only other place, other than what Keith and I have mentioned is the drain plug, or oil pressure/temp sensor. There is a sensor on the oil filter housing, but I can't remember which.

You will only find the leak through aggressive investigation.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I didn't see any smoke whatsoever. I'll get an inspection mirror and a good light on it tomorrow. I just wish I had some batteries for my Sure-Fire flashlight...

Edit: And I'll park on a piece of cardboard to see if there are any drips. From what I could see, the top of the panels on the underside of my engine bay were clean.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

you havent had the oil pan or anything else replaced in the oil system recently have you? i had a pan replaced and had to top it of due to what i am assuming was a "bubble" somewhere that got worked out. not leaks anywhere points to burning oil, but 2 quarts in a few days would mean your exhaust would be as blue as the ocean....pls keep posting.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Odd that you bring this up. My oil level sensor seems to have officially died today. Popped on about 2 minutes from destination. Turned car off, check oil level which was perfectly fine, and oil light didn't come back again so far. It seemed to have been on its way out as it was sporadically coming on after shut down for a while.

Just pop off the belly pan - it's 7 philips head screws that stay on with the belly pan - takes about 2 minutes to get on and off. If there's oil on it then you'll at least know that it's leaking somewhere. If so, I'd check VCG, Oil Filter Gasket, Oil Filter Housing Gasket and Drain Plug.

If the light continues to come on and your not losing oil then it's probably a faulty sensor. If it's neither of those a failing CCV could be it. Good luck.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Quote Originally Posted by static667 View Post
    Edit: And I'll park on a piece of cardboard to see if there are any drips. From what I could see, the top of the panels on the underside of my engine bay were clean.
    Good idea...but....make sure you pull the plastic debris shield off the bottom...or it will mask your indications...

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks for all of the good, and rather quick, advice. It would have taken an hour to get this kind of response out of bf.c.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Odd that you bring this up. My oil level sensor seems to have officially died today. Popped on about 2 minutes from destination. Turned car off, check oil level which was perfectly fine, and oil light didn't come back again so far. It seemed to have been on its way out as it was sporadically coming on after shut down for a while.

Just pop off the belly pan - it's 7 philips head screws that stay on with the belly pan - takes about 2 minutes to get on and off. If there's oil on it then you'll at least know that it's leaking somewhere. If so, I'd check VCG, Oil Filter Gasket, Oil Filter Housing Gasket and Drain Plug.

If the light continues to come on and your not losing oil then it's probably a faulty sensor. If it's neither of those a failing CCV could be it. Good luck.
    He's losing 1qt/day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast