Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: New shift knob

New shift knob

So this week the stock shift knob decided to eject its plastic cover. The knob itself is well-worn after 9 years. Now looking to replace it. Don't want to replace with stock. Thinking need something so the knob is a bit higher. I know, the typical thinking is to have a low knob. But, dropping one's hand down to shift is less efficient, I think. There's a local chapter member who advertises custom shift knobs and thinking to get something that will sit about an inch higher. What do others think?

It's all a matter of personal preference. I personally love the stock ZHP knob and like it's location. But if you want something taller that suits your needs better, by all means go for it.

I wish my car was manual... I love the ZHP knobs too. But I'm stuck with a ugly auto knob.

Quote Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post
    I wish my car was manual... I love the ZHP knobs too. But I'm stuck with a ugly auto knob.
    Yea that auto knob is pretty ugly. The performance knob is a nice option but expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    It's all a matter of personal preference. I personally love the stock ZHP knob and like it's location. But if you want something taller that suits your needs better, by all means go for it.
    +1 i love my ZHP knob
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    ESS Twin Screw Stage 2 - Wavetrac - Headers - Borla - BMW Performance
    Turner Motorsports - Powerflex - Hawk Performance

Build thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...yan-s-2003-ZHP
    Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
    Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i

Unless you do one of those twenty-foot-tall stupid looking shifters, I'm afraid it doesn't really make a difference which one you get. Those are the only ones that have minimal travel to the shifter, and in those cases the gearboxes that people typically use them with (in race cars) are sequential and don't require much movement due to a lack of an H pattern.
    Racing applications is the only time that ever makes a difference.

If you still want something taller, perhaps try an M3 leather shifter (which is lit, BTW). I'm not entirely sure if it's actually taller or if the notch sits deeper inside and just makes it look taller. There are also adjustable-height shifters as well, though I think that's really just an adjustable-height short shift kit, which is far greater an expense I'm sure you'd like.

Keep in mind, the taller the shift knob, the longer the throws will seem to be.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Yea that auto knob is pretty ugly. The performance knob is a nice option but expensive.
    When I got my ZHP it came with the performance shift knob....I ended up giving it away as I didn't care too much for it...I prefer the ZHP shift knob...

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    If you still want something taller, perhaps try an M3 leather shifter (which is lit, BTW). I'm not entirely sure if it's actually taller or if the notch sits deeper inside and just makes it look taller....Keep in mind, the taller the shift knob, the longer the throws will seem to be.
    The M3 "broom stick" shifter is lit and it sits at least an inch taller than the ZHP shift knob. If you're looking for taller shifter take a look at getting the M3 shift knob. I myself got rid of my OEM M3 shift knob on my ///M and replaced it with the F10 M5 (ZHP style) shift knob (thanks to Tony).

I would consider 25117896884. It's about as tall as the M3 knob, but still weighted like the ZHP knob.