Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Replacing head unit, possibly all speakers...

I'll start off by saying I have higher than most standards for audio quality. My previous daily driver was a 2012 Camry with Entune/Bluetooth/Apps and was absolutely phenomenal of bringing both crisp-ness from the tweets, great mids and more bass than I ever thought a stock stereo could deliver. No matter the volume I never heard distortion. Well, the Camry is going up on Craigslist soon and it needs to go. My goal is to have the ZHP sound just as good, if not better, without ripping the entire car apart.
    The ZHP I recently picked up has the OEM head unit with the factory upgraded HK sound system (with surround sound button below the climate control). I think it has 11 speakers total. It sounds very muffled to me, like I'm in a shoebox and I can't open the lid. Considering the speakers are most likely made of a paper-material it's no shocker. I am DESPERATELY wanting Bluetooth to work in the ZHP but i'm troubled by the idea that I'll have to replace the head unit (probably with Eonon for roughly $400) and probably all of the original 11 speakers(who knows how much $).

Question
    Does anyone have the non-android Eonon head unit(there are multiple models, ie D5150V/D5150Z) with the original HK speakers and have feedback on how it sounds? Did the head unit provide enough quality power to notice a large/small difference in quality compared to the original head unit? If so please provide as much detail on your thoughts comparing the stock head unit vs. the Eonon. Thanks in advance.
    04 Imola Red / Alcantara / 6 MT
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

I remember this quy on the other forum who was selling replacement speakers for 1/2 the price of bavauto.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ade-Kit-609-99

No idea about head unit. I am still listening to MP3s on my head unit.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Whoa! Did you read the dispute there? No way Jose' would I consider ordering from that guy. Anyone with Eonon head unit that can chime in on the sound quality with the HK speakers?
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

I am going to save you a lot of time and head ache, don't buy an EONON unit. I don't care wether it's android or win CE.

I had both of them.
    Things that bugged the hell out of me:
    Clunky, stuff worked sometimes. Othertimes they didn't.
    Interference, you can hear hums and hisses when the volume is turned up. sounds terrible.
    Not optimized for HK crossovers. You'll be overdriving your speakers in the wrong frequency range.

Your best option if you don't want to do a lot of work and wan't a modest audio upgrade:
    Replace your old worn out speakers with others that work. I guarantee you that your old speakers are cracked/torn. BSW or Ebay kit for e46 will probably be fine and cheaper than OEM replacements. Need bluetooth? buy a dice kit, you won't regret it.

What did I do? Spent a ton of money and now I'm happy.
    Head unit: Pioneer DEH-80PRS. Active 3 way. (better choice would be stock HU w/dice and Helix P six DSP)
    Front Speakers: Hybrid Audio Technologies L1 Pro R2, HAT C61-2. I cut holes in the doors and built wooden mounts for those to fit. Only way to get the bass up front.
    Rear subs: Acoustic Elegance 10" IB10AU.
    Amps: Alpine PDX-F6, PDX M12.
    I went overkill on the amps. I was planning on doing more. I didn't need to. Find a nice 5/6 channel amp. Alpine PDX V9 will probably be perfect and hide where the 6 disk changer is (OR the P six DSP (includes amplifier)).

That's all I have. Three sets of speakers actively tuned. They sound like god himself orchestrated the music. Plenty of bass, breathtaking clarity, even my girlfriend loves it.

Changing out your stock HU is going to add quirks, nothing will be perfect.

If you are looking for better clarity, replace the speakers. No head unit or amplifier will make blown speakers sound good.
    If you want god to orcestrate your music, message me privately and I can give you some suggestions.

What he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

D5150 with upgraded OS non android user here. Been super happy with it, audio upgrade is noticeable for sure. No issues to date other than maybe once every few months I have to re plug in my iPod cuz the connection will get stale and glitch.

Not sure about the other guys with issues but mine had been great.

GoingHAM mobile
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Starfox,

Thank you so much for your post. I'll definitely review everything you open my eyes to. This is for you:

Name:  BostonLagerSamAdams.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  41.2 KB
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

I should add that I also have Bav sound tweeters and Infinity 2 ways all around with a Basslink sub mounted in the trunk.

GoingHAM mobile
    Call me Seth

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    I should add that I also have Bav sound tweeters and Infinity 2 ways all around with a Basslink sub mounted in the trunk.

GoingHAM mobile
    I was about to ask. Those upgrades would make a big difference. Once I sell my former daily driver I can't wait to upgrade the ZHP's. Thanks for the input.
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

Honestly, the Dynavin I put in my Zhp with stock speakers saw a big upgrade in sound just replacing the HU though.

It's possible to get a decent sound out of the car with stock speakers.

GoingHAM mobile
    Call me Seth

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast