Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I plan on getting the Avin because of the higher resolution screen, and capacitive touchscreen. I also like how it has a user programable sleep mode. It'll start up and be ready to go in 3 seconds or so compared to waiting 30 seconds to a minute for other brands. All that makes it worth a few hundred more to me, but your requirements may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by 330i Lover View Post
    One feature that I realized the Eonon D5150V doesn't have is the capability of having apps like Spotify/Pandora installed on the head unit itself. I guess the other Eonon unit (GA5150F) does have those features for $459. Which is still considerably cheaper. I'm somewhat torn now. Technically through Bluetooth (BT) you can play whatever's playing on your phone but I may or may not get the artist & track info, unlike the GA5150F or Avin AV 2 that will have it through the Head Unit and show more info.
    I have the GA5150 (minus the F), and I can tell you that playing music through Bluetooth does NOT display any song information. All you get is a basic 'back, pause/play/, forward' functionality.

I'm confused on how the GA5150F or the Avin AV 2 gets the internet from your phone unless you have wifi hopspot. I don't have that option with my cell phone carrier (straight talk) so I don't see how that would work for me.
    You don't get WiFi unless you hook up a hotspot or a Wireless USB dongle to it. So, either you tether your phone's internet connection to it or you buy a dedicated WiFi dongle and plug it into its USB port.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHP Dave View Post
    I plan on getting the Avin because of the higher resolution screen, and capacitive touchscreen. I also like how it has a user programable sleep mode. It'll start up and be ready to go in 3 seconds or so compared to waiting 30 seconds to a minute for other brands. All that makes it worth a few hundred more to me, but your requirements may be different.
    The higher resolution screen is something I sorely wish I had. Using Google Maps with my GA5150 is okay, but when it comes time to choose a route, the amount of screen you have to scroll on is tiny due to the super low resolution of the screen. It is capacitive touchscreen and responds very well to user inputs, but doesn't have a programmable sleep mode. It takes about 40 seconds or so to boot up from a cold start, which sounds like an eternity (and feels like it for a while), but when you get used to it, it really isn't that bad. I would definitely take the 3 second bootup over this though, any day of the week.

Overall the GA5150 is okay. For what I paid for it ($375), I'm overall satisfied with what I got. If I had the money, I'd probably buy a more polished unit, but unfortunately such a thing doesn't exist. The Avin is pretty much the same thing with "slightly" more polish, but not enough more for the price difference IMO.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Thanks for the input, I've been chatting with Tommy all morning and I pulled the trigger on the Avin Avant 2 w/rear camera. They had a refurb option that was too good to resist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    04 Imola Red / Alcantara / 6 MT
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

Quote Originally Posted by 330i Lover View Post
    Thanks for the input, I've been chatting with Tommy all morning and I pulled the trigger on the Avin Avant 2 w/rear camera. They had a refurb option that was too good to resist.

Nice! I'd be interested in your thoughts. Write a review after you've had it installed for a while (installation, ease of use, overall utility, etc).

I definitely will. It will probably be installed over Labor Day weekend.

Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

Aaaaaaand Eonon support just emailed me back from Friday stating, "I would like to tell you that the Labor Day Sale was over in advance." Ummm, their site said it was going through Sept 7th. Shady!!

Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

i have had ZERO issues with my Eonon head unit (non-android). Its been great for me, especially at the sale price of the unit. The sound did get somewhat better, but I also have a Bavauto stg 1 speaker upgrade sitting in the house waiting to go in the car. All I need to do is figure out a mild sub, may go with the ghost sub from BAV as i don't want to lose any trunk space.

The Eonon unit is the best bang for you buck: period. Nothing will beat it. From that point on you're looking at Dynavin or the like. If you don't want a DD unit, then your options obviously grow more from that point going to single din.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

I'll be sure to post an update after I install the Avin Avant 2. I really like how I can diagnose obd2 notifications and have android's wide array of apps. I'm sure if I went with the Eonon I'd be happy as well. They both seem to be solid products. Hell, anything beats the stock HU that sometimes plays burned cd's sometimes doesn't, moody lil thing she is!
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

I have appreciated going through this thread, I have the money and am ready to replace my old worn out factory HU. I too have been trying to decide on the eonon GA5150 or the Avant II. I wish you had it in your car now! I think deep down I prefer the Avin, but the cost of the thing just scares me. I'll be getting one or the other by the end of this week. Can you tell me what it boiled down to for you and why you chose the avant 2? I've never actually thought of sending Tommy a message and let him know what I'm going through, I may try that as well. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Icebergap View Post
    I have appreciated going through this thread, I have the money and am ready to replace my old worn out factory HU. I too have been trying to decide on the eonon GA5150 or the Avant II. I wish you had it in your car now! I think deep down I prefer the Avin, but the cost of the thing just scares me. I'll be getting one or the other by the end of this week. Can you tell me what it boiled down to for you and why you chose the avant 2? I've never actually thought of sending Tommy a message and let him know what I'm going through, I may try that as well. Cheers!
    First of all the GA5150 is no longer being sold by Eonon, so then you'll have to ask yourself which model Eonon is the best fit for you. If you were to compare apples to apples IMO the closest to the Avant 2 is the GA5150F. Both have Android 4.4.4 The Avant 2 can be purchased with the same warranty as retail from avinusa.com (or ebay) for $599 free shipping not tax. The GA5150F is $460 but doesn't include the rear camera and install kit that Tommy from Avin included for free, so that's a $50 savings right there. So when it boiled down to it, I saw much better support from Tommy and reading much better reviews about Avin and their support on other forums vs. Eonon. I was seeing a lot of reviews of ppl starting with the Eonon and trying to get the best for the $, seeing issues that left them frustrated, upgrading to the Dynavin, still being frustrated and then eventually going to the Avin Avant 2 and praising it's name. Of course there will be many ppl that love all 3 products but from my research it was clear the Avant 2 product was superior. For the $90 difference I couldn't pass up the Avant 2. I plan on keeping the ZHP for a long time and I'd rather pay $90 more now vs. regret spending $510 (GA5150F + camera) for something that's been known have more issues with sub-par support.

This was just my research, like I said I'm sure there are dozens of happy customers on Eonon's side as well, but for me this were my conclusions. I've pretty much researched the most that I can about these Head Unit's. Let me know if you have any other questions. I highly recommend leaving Tommy a message at avinusa.com or chat with him if he's online. Best of luck and let me know what I can do to help.
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast