Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Afe stage 1 vs Afe stage 2

Hi guys, not sure if this has been asked numerous times so pardon me if it has. I am ready to upgrade the stock intake and I started looking into the afe intakes. Stage 1 cost $425.00 at turner motor sports while the stage 2 cost only $325.00. What am I missing here? Why is stage 2 cheaper? Normally when you go up a stage to upgrade it cost more, but it sounds like a totally new system with all new parts compared to stage 1. Can someone please school me as to why this is? I really want to buy one of this and I am assuming I should go with stage 2 but need to know why it's cheaper. Stage 2 I assume should get better performance numbers correct?

Thanks

Dtownwolfpack

You're not really going to get a big performance difference regardless of which one you buy. Just don't want you to be disappointed.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I spoke to ecstuning regarding the noise and they said stage 2 would be louder as it is not covered... Whereas stage 1 is covered with an aluminum heat shield...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    You're not really going to get a big performance difference regardless of which one you buy. Just don't want you to be disappointed.
    +1

Having tried a couple of different after market intakes (aFe Stage 1 Pro5R Dry and the GruppeM) I'm going to say save your money. There is no "upgrading" the stock the airbox on these cars. Unlike other cars (e.g. forced induction vehicles) out there our stock system actually does do its job very well. BMW knew what they were doing when they designed it. Those two intakes do absolutely nothing for performance. You are better off saving your money and getting a drop in performance filter. The only two that are sort of...SORT of worth it are the GruppeM or the BMW Performance one solely for sound and look, respectively.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I was in the same boat awhile ago looking at intakes...I just have come full circle in thinking that a lot of what sells them is marketing and the "groupthink" on forums from some other guy's ass dyno.

But to answer your question, you want to go with the one I listed above, it's the "good/newer one" and comes with the heat shield covering, and looks a lot cleaner in the engine bay, probably why it's a little more expensive. aFe Stage 1 Pro5R Dry.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post

The only two that are sort of...SORT of worth it are the GruppeM or the BMW Performance one solely for sound and look, respectively.
    this....

i believe the shark injector/conforti tune helps make the most of an aftermarket intake, someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

i'm running the aFe Pro Dry S (the covered one) and besides the sound, which is awesome, i do feel a bit of a difference power-wise when switching between it and the stock intake. my car has the shark/conforti tune.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    +1

Having tried a couple of different after market intakes (aFe Stage 1 Pro5R Dry and the GruppeM) I'm going to say save your money. There is no "upgrading" the stock the airbox on these cars. Unlike other cars (e.g. forced induction vehicles) out there our stock system actually does do its job very well. BMW knew what they were doing when they designed it. Those two intakes do absolutely nothing for performance. You are better off saving your money and getting a drop in performance filter. The only two that are sort of...SORT of worth it are the GruppeM or the BMW Performance one solely for sound and look, respectively.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I was in the same boat awhile ago looking at intakes...I just have come full circle in thinking that a lot of what sells them is marketing and the "groupthink" on forums from some other guy's ass dyno.

But to answer your question, you want to go with the one I listed above, it's the "good/newer one" and comes with the heat shield covering, and looks a lot cleaner in the engine bay, probably why it's a little more expensive. aFe Stage 1 Pro5R Dry.
    +1. I ran the Gruppe M and the sound was AMAZING, however I did not really notice any gains. I have headers on my car and with the stock air box, the power felt more noticeable over the Gruppe M.

As both Botond and Daniel have mentioned, you won't get much power gain with just the CAI.... the aFe and Gruppe M will give you more sound than the stock intake... I have gone from the stock intake, which is already very good, to the aFe then to my current Gruppe M intake. Out of all three I love having my Gruppe M CAI the most. I wouldn't change anything but I love having my Gruppe M solely for the sound it makes. Having this and my UUC Corsa TSE3 exhaust is absolute perfection as far as I'm concerned

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i believe the shark injector/conforti tune helps make the most of an aftermarket intake, someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

i'm running the aFe Pro Dry S (the covered one) and besides the sound, which is awesome, i do feel a bit of a difference power-wise when switching between it and the stock intake. my car has the shark/conforti tune.

peter
    Maybe a couple of hp on a dyno chart, but nothing that will affect real world performance. Keep in mind, at this point you've just spent an estimated $700 on mods for a couple of hp. The negligible increase isn't going to win you any races. Not worth it, IMO.

The sound though is a very different story.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Maybe a couple of hp on a dyno chart, but nothing that will affect real world performance. Keep in mind, at this point you've just spent an estimated $700 on mods for a couple of hp. The negligible increase isn't going to win you any races. Not worth it, IMO.

The sound though is a very different story.
    botond, i have a very sensitive butt-dyno...

fortunately i picked up both items second-hand, i think i paid around $400 for both. so not bad. the intake was purely for noise, and for $200 i was OK with that. the top end does feel a bit better with it and the tune together... i see 6800rpm on a regular basis.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast