Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Horrible understeer and body roll on my E46 BMW 330

Lets see if I can explain this problem coherently. About 2 weeks ago, I had my rear tires replaced with identical Pirelli P-zero's. When I left the shop I could immediately tell something was "off" with the handling, but I figured maybe the new tires needed a few miles to break in. I made it about 2 miles on the freeway and noticed that the steering felt a bit too quick. It felt like both wheel's had a huge amount of toe-out and it was difficult to even drive a straight line. So I decided to turn around and go back to the tire shop. I took the next 40mph off-ramp at no more than 40-50 mph and felt the wheels turn but the body just rolled into the corner and plowed towards the outside. The DSC lights lit up as thankfully the car basically slammed on the brakes to keep me from understeering right into the wall. I was pretty pissed at this point as before I visited the tire shop, the car handled just fine. I went in there and explained what I experienced and the guy thought I was crazy and insisted they hadn't touched anything but the rear tires. We looked the car over real well and they noticed that the rear tires were a bit overinflated, so they took some air out, went for a drive and everything seemed to be fine. a couple days later the problem was back and stayed pretty consistent. I tried messing with air pressure etc, to no avail. I had ordered some strut tower reinforcement plates previously and just installed them last night, and while I was down there I figured I'd try tweaking the tie-rods a bit and toe-in a bit more. Sure enough... Voila!! the car handled like new, tracked staright,no body roll, just great! Good news right? well... no I decided to celebrate my new, awesome handling car by going for a spirited drive and sure enough, about half way through, it started again. The whole car feels like its on leaf springs and any attempt to Go around a corner quickly is met with the car plowing to the outside and the DSC slamming on the brakes. Ok, now here's the really strange part... I immediately figured something was wrong with my tie rods and they just couldn't hold an alignment but then, I'm on the freeway for 15 minutes and the car is cured again, no body roll no pulling right or left, just perfect. :eyecrazy

Right now Im leaning towards something being wrong with either the power steering or the adaptive steering. Anyone else have any insight?

Cliffs: Car handles like poop...randomly.

Car currently has 100,000 miles, with new control arms, CAB's and endlinks.

When was the suspension last replaced?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Everything except springs and tie-rods has less than 10,000 miles.

When was your last alignment and did a BMW dealer do it?

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by billschusteriv View Post
    When was your last alignment and did a BMW dealer do it?
    I have the car aligned every 4000 miles or so. It's not done at the dealership. I really don't think it's an alignment issue though, as it goes back and forth. I'm leaning towards a sway bar issue right now.

Bad endlinks perhaps?

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I don't think it's the endlinks. There's no clunking or tearing. I'm suspecting it may have something to do with the sway bar bushings. I'll have it up on the lift tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Sounds good bro. I hope you find something definitive. I hate throwing darts.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Sounds good bro. I hope you find something deinitive. I hate throwing darts.

It just makes it so much more difficult when the problem isn't consistent. Grrrrrrrr!!

Sounds good bro. I hope you find something deinitive. I hate throwing darts.

It just makes it so much more difficult when the problem isn't consistent. Grrrrrrrr!!
    I know what you mean. Good luck.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast