Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Foam wheel brush for BMW 330 ZHP wheels and wheel cleaning agent?

Ok, Now that we have a detailing section, I would like to get an idea for a wheel brush (preferably foam) to clean the ZHP wheels ...
    What brush/mitt do you guys use?
    And what's a good wheel cleaning product (preferably spray), that's gentle, but cleans the brake dust off?

Links would be welcome. Thanks.

As for my own products:
    I use Klasse AIO usually on my cars for exterior.
    1Z Gummipflege for exterior trim/weather strips.
    Interior: I use Einsezett (1Z) Cockpit premium and Tiefenpfleger.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I had heard alot of guys find that a MF towel wrapped around their finger with some good ole sopy water does the trick.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks - that does seem like a good idea, although I am looking for something that has a handle, and can be used faster and efficiently...gonna do some research...

EDIT:
    Actually, this page offers some...

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/tireswheels.html
    Last edited by Washburn; 11-08-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I use a very thin toothbrush to get between spokes.

I avoid using wheel cleaner as I usually wash once a week so not much brake dust. BUT when I do, I use either Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner (approved by BBS) or also Meguiar's Wheel Cleaner. Both work very good and are safe for wheels

Must have been invented by a ZHP owner

I got these as a gift, a few years ago from my son-in-law and the fit the ZHPs wheel wheels so perfectly I know the guy that invented them had to have owned one. They are what Griots Garage calls Foam Swabs. These are tiny little sponges on a stick. The sponge is about 3" long and 1/2" in diameter on a 6" 1/4" diameter stick. These little guys fit perfectly in the zhp slots, the (5) 1/4" holes around the bolt pattern and between the lugs and wheels.

It's probably the best 10 bucks you'll ever spend on detail stuff for your ZHP.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+foam+swabs.do

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

I currently use "Black Magic" brand, which makes a few car cleaner products. I think as long as you choose the right type for our wheels, most brands will do. I go with the mildest one based on the label "good for all wheels", as I'm not really sure what they are made of, and it works fine. QUESTION: what are the stock wheels made of?

So, what I do is every week I just dust off the brake dust with a MF cloth, so I usually don't need cleaner that often. It looks just fine. If the wheels get wet or I get busy and forget to dust, they can get pretty dirty so then I use the cleaner.

I've tried 3 or 4 "brushes" of some sort that are soft enough and small enough for those tight spaces, but have had no luck. I'm going to try the Griots swabs. Great tip, thanks!

Guys, these are those lug nut brushes that are supposed to work so well on our cars.

EDIT: link disabled.

I seriously need to do something about my wheels...they're almost dark gray-black with brake dust.
    but I feel silly just going to a car wash just for the wheels - (i have plans to get the whole car detailed)...perhaps I should get the detailing done quicker...then again, what's the point of that when it's still road-salt/winter slush time?
    Hopefully once I get the wheels cleaned once, I can maintain them better with the wheel sealant i have...

Wash, you're hilarious. You have to get out there and scrub those wheels, pal. Or is it too cold to do that right now? Man. I am glad I live on the west coast during winter.

This thread is great.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the great tips I've read on here. I've tried the wheel cleaners and car washes, but nothing has worked yet. My rear wheels have so much brake dust built up from the PO not cleaning her wheels it seems that they will never come clean. I was going to buy the BMW wheel brush but will probably start off with a toothbrush and some cleaner.

Last time I was out I bought Meguiars and it didn't seem to clean anything off of the wheel - but I wasn't using a decent brush.

DW - I hope I can eventually just use soap with a MF towel and stay away from the cleaners.

I've also heard wheel wax makes cleaning your wheels much much easier. Especially with the amount of brake dust thrown off by some of the pads made for our cars.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast